• Register Today It's free!

Problems in the future

froman

Reaction score
City, State
WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLT
Alright so i just bought a 2003 XLT with 45,000 miles and i was wondering what type of problems down the line i should expect to see. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

V8, V6? 4x2, 4x4, AWD?

I have an AWD V8 with almost 80k. Only problem I have had is replacing the transmission solenoids at around 70k.

I had the V8 and had to: replace under recall the rear lift hinges, a broken passenger window that crashed into the door when a braket broke, a split rear lift gate trim panel (still don't know how this happened, cold possibly), some transmission trouble shortly after I purchased it, they 'fixed' it with some friction modifier but still clunked going into reverse and finally before I traded it a couple months ago the power steering was heading south. Hey but it what do you expect for a suv with 45,000 miles on it! Good Luck. I reallly liked it but just could not handle the continual expense and in convenience.

I have an 02 Mountaineer V-8 AWD Premier with 43K now on it.

I've had the tranny replaced once, rear axel seals replaced due to leaking. all 4 upper control arms replaced due to noise, and now the rear end is howling which I have not taken it in for a fix yet.

It may seem like a lot has gone wrong, but I love this truck, and it's classy looking for a Mercury Modle. I'm hoping to run over 200K with this bad boy over time! :thumbsup:

I have an 03 XLT, V-6 2wd with 49,000 miles on it. No problems except the rear hinge recall and power steering leak. The only other replacement has been the brake pads at 45K miles. I change the oil regularly, just recently had dealership flush the trans, coolant and rear diff for prevenative maintenance. Great truck, decent gas mileage and seems to hold up pretty good.

2002 Xlt

MY 4x2 2002 Explorer XLT has 73,000 miles and runs like new. No problems with vibrations or leaks. Other than the ABS sensor in the rear needing replaced and my tailgate trim panel being cracked (this was minor but design of this is bad, the panel is just above handle and after time can pull away from tailgate) and cost me $150 to replace, I have enjoyed this SUV. I see some have had problems with theirs but in my case, mine has held up pretty good. The engine looks like it just came off the factory line. Knock on wood, I hope it continues to hold up... :thumbsup:

02 4X4 with 91k miles

I just recently replaced the solenoid block in the trans (started going about 65K, slow into reverse and drive when cold, hesitate from sotp), had rear seals replaced in the differential, hinges on back glass, rear hub, emergency brake pads fell off in right rear (one of them came off backing plate).
I've ran the vehicle a lot of road miles. I don't think it is very comfortable for long trips (Ford has never gotten the interiaor seats right), but it has been a fairly decent vehicle. I change oil regularly and do most of the PM's.

Dave

just out of curiousity

how often do you guys replace the tires? i have goodyear tires (16"). alot depends on driving habits but was just wondering (approx) how long ppl get on their tires?

My 03 came with the OE Michelin tires and I still have about 50% tread remaining with 49K miles.

I got 60K with the original Michelins, and put the same back on it. I now have 32K on these, and they look like they will go another 20-30K. I DO NOT rotate the tires.

Dave

Back