Code P0506 "Idle Air Control System RPM Lower Than Expected" 2004 Explorer XLT | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Code P0506 "Idle Air Control System RPM Lower Than Expected" 2004 Explorer XLT

RCBZach

Reaction score
City, State
Cleveland, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer NBX
Alright, guys. 2004 Ford Explorer XLT 4.0L SOHC V6, 145k on the clock. Rough idle at start-up and Service Engine light on. I hooked it up to the ol' OBD II reader and got P0506 "Idle Air Control System Revolutions Per Minute Lower Than Expected." Advance sold me an IAC valve, but I'm not seeing it on my truck. A quick search says that the IAC valve stopped being used after 2003. What's my problem and how do I fix it? This is my first Ford.

Thanks in advance!

-Zach

1. Start with checking for any vacuum leaks or any problems with the air inlet ducting being loose or damaged. Also be sure the air filter housing is sealed properly and that the air filter is the correct one.

2. If no problems are found with the air filter or air inlet, check the throttle body for excessive build up. Clean as needed and recheck operation. Be extremely careful not to get any type of cleaner or solvent into the Throttle Actuator Control Motor (TACM) or Throttle Position (TP) sensor.

Back