Rattle at low RPMS after changing serp belt | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rattle at low RPMS after changing serp belt

rickb928

Reaction score
City, State
Gilbert, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 V8 XLT
Ok, my '95 XLT with 294K on it got a new radiator over the last two weekends. Don't go to Autozone for a rad, they don't match up the right part and the trans cooling lines don't fit. But enough of that rant.

After changing the hoses, thermostat (found one without the air hole in it installed), and radiator, I also changed the serpentine belt, being cracked and suffering 3 Phoenix summers.

After this, I notice a rattle from the accessory drive I think, at low RPMS. Idling in gear, with the A/C on, the tach will show about 600-800 RPMS, and the rattle is pretty nioticeable. In neutral, there is some vibration and clunking, which is easy to feel on the alternator.

I'm suspecting the belt tensioner is rattling, since this accompanied the radiator change which is not known to cause timing chain problems :).

I'll be poking in there to loosen and tighten the belt tensioner and see if the clunking goes away.

Any other diagnostics to rule out a bad timing chain assembly? Or even the alternator? I hate taking stuff apart just to find out I've gotten myself into gasket hell for no reason...

Thanks!

Did you find your problem here? I have the same problem. Thanks

Back