Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Rear LED turn signals

Discussion in 'Modified 2011- 2019 Explorers - Tuning & Mods' started by GregV8, July 1, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. GregV8

GregV8 Active Member

City, State:
    Long Island, NY
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2011 XLT
    I prefer red turn signals. I would like to replace the current orange bulbs with red LED's - however I'm having trouble finding any useful info on exactly what kind of bulbs or sockets they are. The owners manual mentions something very exotic that I can't find on eBay.
    Has anyone done this?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. cryptiq

cryptiq New Member

City, State:
    Florida
    '11 XLT
    I pulled this from Sylvania's website but I haven't verified it's accuracy:

High & low beam headlamp
    9005L+

Parking light
    194ST SilverStar: The brighter, whiter signal light. Up to 30% brighter light, up to 20% whiter light and up to 10% farther and wider.
    194LL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.
    3457A
    3457ALL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.

Front turn signal
    194ST SilverStar: The brighter, whiter signal light. Up to 30% brighter light, up to 20% whiter light and up to 10% farther and wider.
    194LL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.
    3457A
    3457ALL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.

Rear turn signal

Tail light
    LED

Stop light
    LED

High mount stop light
    LED

Fog/Driving light
    H11
    H11SU SilverStar Ultra: The brightest and whitest light. Up to 50% brighter, up to 40% more downroad visibility and up to 50% more sideroad visibility.
    H11ST SilverStar: The brighter and whiter light. Up to 35% brighter, up to 30% more downroad visibility and up to 35% more sideroad visibility.
    H11XV XtraVision: The brighter light for upgraded performance. Up to 30% brighter light and up to 25% more downroad visibility.

License plate
    168ST SilverStar: The brighter, whiter signal light. Up to 30% brighter light, up to 20% whiter light and up to 10% farther and wider.
    168LL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.

Back up light

Rear sidemarker
    LED

Map light
    LED

Dome light
    168ST SilverStar: The brighter, whiter signal light. Up to 30% brighter light, up to 20% whiter light and up to 10% farther and wider.
    168LL SYLVANIA Long Life miniature bulbs perform twice as long as any standard miniature bulb. Designed for durability, lower maintenance and greater safety.
    LED

Trunk/Cargo area
    LED

4. GregV8

GregV8 Active Member

City, State:
    Long Island, NY
    2011 XLT
    I took off the tail light assembly today, just to see what kind of bulbs are in there. I documented the process in a PDF so anyone else can use it:
    tail light removal

(I wish the forum would allow more attachments - here I am trying to provide useful contribution, investing my work, I don't feel like I should be spending money to be able to share a PDF. So I had to resort to that crappy file sharing site sendspace...sorry.)

EDIT: After some googleing, it seems the turn signal bulbs are better known as 9009 bulbs! Sometimes also known as H16 or 5202.
    Going to try and find some red LED's now!

5. G37RRaiders

G37RRaiders Active Member

City, State:
    Frisco, Tx
    2011 Limited

are you sure about the bulb code? I used H16 for the backup light

6. techieman33

techieman33 Explorer Addict

City, State:
    Topeka, KS
    00 V8 Mountaineer
    If you want to do a write up on the forum the best way to do it is to start a thread and write all the info in there, and if your elite upload your photos to the site for hosting, or you can host them on photobucket, imageshack, whatever.