• Register Today It's free!

Rear Suspension Noise

rking4500

Reaction score
City, State
Austin Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer XLT
Hello Everyone. if you are reading this, please let me know what you think.

I have a 2003 Ford Explorer XLT with the 4.0 in it. Recently I was in a parking lot making a turn and I heard a clicking noise. IT mostly happens when turning, and not driving straight lines. I looked underneath, the springs look good. I read on here it could be the sway bar brushings.

Has anyone experienced this? PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let me know what you think. I know that there are about 100 different things. Any insight would be appreciated.

The noise is like a click\thump. It is coming from the right rear.

Thanks in advance and happy holidays.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have the same year and model explorer. Check the sway bar links, upper and lower ball joint and tie rod ends. More than likely it is the sway bar links. It is an easy DYI if your mechanically inclined.

Best wishes,
bizzs

awesome. I got a shop that is going to put her on a lift to see for sure. I REALLY appreciate the response and will update so anyone else who has this issue will know.

Thanks Bizzs!!!!!!

RK

awesome. I got a shop that is going to put her on a lift to see for sure. I REALLY appreciate the response and will update so anyone else who has this issue will know.
Sway bar links are a $15 part, so that is something that you could really save allot by doing yourself. You need to replace both sides, even if only one is broken. It is important the both links be exactly the same length. It is very easy to see if one is broken as the part will likely be obviously broken off at one end or entirely missing.

This thread has some pictures,
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=382595

This is a youtube vid on doing the repair,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cioB5_zNdwA

The main issue is getting the old part off.

LMHmedchem

It was the sway bars. EASY FIX!!!!

Thanks Guys! I love the site.I really appreciate it!

RK

Driver side pillar where the seat belt is

So this just happened.... Was diving home yesterday and the trim on the pillar got a little warm. I could feel hot air coming from the seat belt....

Thoughts? What in the hell is behind that pillar??

It was the sway bars. Super easy fix.

Back