Clicking noise from rear only when rear air is on | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Clicking noise from rear only when rear air is on

BajaXplorer

Reaction score
City, State
San Marcos, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT 2WD
Getting a new noise-:(

When rear air is turned on, I'm getting a clicking noise from the rear drivers side panel in the cargo area.
Is this a sign of low refrigerant or bad motor, controller or??

thanks for any and all advice

Doug

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's one of the 2 actuators on the rear climate control unit. There is one for the blend door and another for the mode door. Both are located on the upper right side of the unit on the back side. You need to remove the rear quarter trim panel and unscrew the climate control unit from it's mounts. Pull the right side out enough to see the actuators and you will be able to determine which one is clicking. Good luck.

are these actuators easily replaceable and are they a dealer only item?

any pics of one?

thank you very much

One one that controls the temp setting is availible at Oreillys for $30. The floor/roof air door is a dealer only. They look the same but the thingys that actually turn are diff sizes. My GF's temp one broke and right before I went to fix it the floor/roof diverter one broke as well, so I just put it on roof air and unplugged it........

Dorman Part # 604-202

Back