Removing Aquapel ?

N1265

Reaction score
City, State
Fremont Oh
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 explorer
Hi guys,

A while back I had a glass treatment applied to my windshield at a Valvoline instant oil change, The product is called Aquapel and works kinda like Rain-X ( but is a different system ) It works great at beading up the rain and getting it off the windshield without the use of wipers. However, I am having a real bad problem with on coming headlights and stop lights at night, It is leaving a glaring / filming effect on the windshield at night witch almost caused me to hit a deer ( didn't see it till the last second )

Needless to say I have ben trying to remove this product from my windshied for the last two weeks.

Things I have tried that do NOT work :

1) Contacting Aquapel threw their web site ( no reply back X3 )
2) Rubbing out the windshield with a high speed buffer and rubbing compound.
3) Bon-Ami ( recommended at a different forum )
4) Laquer thinner
5) Chrome polish
6) Steel wool
7) Magic erasers
6) Denatured Alcohol
8) Carb cleaner
9) Lighting the carb cleaner
10) Stoner's invisable glass cleaner

I am willing to try anything within reason, If I cant get it off I will have little choice other than to replace the windshield.

Any suggestions ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is some stuff at walmart thats bumper sticker remover the citrus in it takes anything stick lie off i had ducktape and plastic on my rear brocken window when i got it replaced i used this stuff to get ducktape residue and stripe sticker off very easy worked on windows to so may help its made by turtle wax company

Hi guys,

A while back I had a glass treatment applied to my windshield at a Valvoline instant oil change, The product is called Aquapel and works kinda like Rain-X ( but is a different system ) It works great at beading up the rain and getting it off the windshield without the use of wipers. However, I am having a real bad problem with on coming headlights and stop lights at night, It is leaving a glaring / filming effect on the windshield at night witch almost caused me to hit a deer ( didn't see it till the last second )

Needless to say I have ben trying to remove this product from my windshied for the last two weeks.

Things I have tried that do NOT work :

1) Contacting Aquapel threw their web site ( no reply back X3 )
2) Rubbing out the windshield with a high speed buffer and rubbing compound.
3) Bon-Ami ( recommended at a different forum )
4) Laquer thinner
5) Chrome polish
6) Steel wool
7) Magic erasers
6) Denatured Alcohol
8) Carb cleaner
9) Lighting the carb cleaner
10) Stoner's invisable glass cleaner

I am willing to try anything within reason, If I cant get it off I will have little choice other than to replace the windshield.

Any suggestions ?

I'd guess that with all that cleaning you actually did get it off, but the windshield is the problem. I had a windshield in a used car a few years ago that had that hazing effect. Was like a billion tiny scratches. Not sure what happened to it, but I tried everything, cleaning, and polishing. Finally replaced the windshield, problem solved.

I did a little more checking into Aquapel. It's a temporary treatment good for 6 months at best. So if you applied all those cleaning methods and it's still got a glare, I'd be almost 100% confident that your windshield is shot. Depending on driving conditions, windshields are really only good for 5-10 years max before they get noticeably damaged.

5 to 10 years ? :eek:

It does have some fine wiper marks and a couple small specks / chips, maybe I should just replace it anyway.

Safelite quoted me $224. with blue tint shade at the top.

Anybody have any comments on Safelite or the blue tinted windshields ?

I had Safelite put a windshield in one of my cars. They came out to my house & did it. No problems as I remember.

Back