Replacing cam position sensor on a 93-95 explorer 4.0L ohv,has anyone done one | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replacing cam position sensor on a 93-95 explorer 4.0L ohv,has anyone done one

Try putting the motor back to TDC and then try the old one? Not sure I would have moved the crank, that might be putting it off enough so it’s meshing the gears, but not lining up with the oil pump shaft? Then if you can get the old one to go, try the new one after that?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Try putting the motor back to TDC and then try the old one? Not sure I would have moved the crank, that might be putting it off enough so it’s meshing the gears, but not lining up with the oil pump shaft? Then if you can get the old one to go, try the new one after that?

When I rotated the crank back and fire just the Cam gear moved. The synchro gear I believe moved. I believe the oil pump shaft did not move because the synchro did not stop in. I want to note the original synchro was rusted to the manifold. It would not turn side to side. Once I got the original unit to rotate, I could not get the syncho to come out. I had to pop it out. There must be close tolerant between the oil pump drive and the block.

If it was really rusty, maybe clean the hole in the block. Maybe corrosion is not letting it seat down far enough

If it was really rusty, maybe clean the hole in the block. Maybe corrosion is not letting it seat down far enough
I inspected the opening surface and it looked ok

Back