95/96 4.0 cam sensor | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

95/96 4.0 cam sensor

Reaction score
City, State
ct
Year, Model & Trim Level
95/96
I have been converting the 95 4.0 explorer to OBD II and I have some questions about the cam sensor. My engine 4.0 OHV must be a early 95 because (much to my dismay) it has the early internal cam sensor,We picked up the 96 cam sensor but it was different and thats how we found the difference.

So now I need to find out if the internal cam sensor is compatable with the 96 computer,I see the plug/wiring has to be changed, easy to do, and the wire color codes are the same.

Question about the internal type of cam sensor, The 95 is a one piece with the sensor and it is permanet. Is the 96 4.0 OHV engine block different in that area or is the sensor made in two pieces, one that would stay in the block and have a bolt on sensor.

Thanks for any help with this. Pat

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the hall-effect swt would give the same pattern to the computer (on-off). therefore, it should work.

follow the instructions exactly when reinstalling the CMP (if it's installed wrong, the least that will happen is the engine won't start).

what do you mean internal?

The cam position sensor is mounted the same in a 95 block as it is a 96, meaning it uses a distributor hold down type mounting.

It is true the 96 sensor will not fit the 95 block, but you can wire up the 95 sensor to the 96 wiring harness

I dealt with this when I put a 97 engine into a 95 truck
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151705&highlight=95+overheated

the cam position sensor has been around since 1994 in these engines.

The sensor changed a few times, the depth of the drive and the wiring changed, but the sensor itself changed very little (as far as how it works)
We have even hooked up a 2004 cam position sensor to a 94 computer and it works 100%, just had to add two extra wires from the 93 harness to the 2004 sensor (Brett's 94 explorer is running a 2004 SOHC 4.0L engine using the 94 computer)

Thanks a lot I was kinda freakin out about this, But thanks for the replys I am much happier now. My son will be very happy since it is his truck.
Now I just need the 96 power distribution harness w/fog lights and temp sensor for the front body.

Thanks for the help. Pat

OBD II engine wiring swap

:thumbsup: Well today went very well got the engine wiring all done and it started right up and ran great and the OBD II works so thats all set, Now just have to change the rear body harness and install the evap control can and wiring and we should be done. :rolleyes:

Back