Rough ride | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rough ride

jmvb

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer XLT
I always have felt the explorer suspension rough.

Even when I bought it, and I put new AT 235/75R15 tires.
Later I perform a TT lift and 31x10.50R15, then a bit more rough

.... maybe I need new shock absorbers?

The shocks are working, it pass the inspections fine.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What brand of tires?

How much pressure are you running in the tires?

How do they test shocks during inspection? If they just look for signs of leakage it does not mean the shocks are still doing their job.

They inspect it with a machine....

It is the goverment anual inspection

You will have to define rough. Constant vibration and/or road drone noise would be the tires. Larger tires need less inflation pressure to support the load, would generally provide more dampening, but could still be more droning noise from the tread pattern.

Worn shocks will cause a higher rate of front to rear or side to side movement, including a reaction in the opposite direction of the initial force as the springs and/or torsion bars react. The feeling can be a bit like a boat on water. Have you replaced them within the last 50K mi? Some will say they last longer or shorter but it's a nice round number.

The lift makes this worse as you then have a higher center of gravity on a vehicle that already had a high center of gravity. Stiffer springs can compensate some but then you feel road bumps more.

It could be a combination of factors, particularly those components that are still original like sway bar bushings, end links, ball joints. That gives you more control and less small movements, but could even make the ride seem a little rougher depending on your definition of rough.

With rough ride I mean, feel like every little defect of the road is transmited to the truck, especially in city drive
Not like the slide and float sensation which suppose that this vehicle have.

I explain myself?

That's usually off-road tire tread pattern and/or over inflation. If you have the Monroe (or gabriel) coilover shocks that will cause it a little too, but more little bumps rather than constant vibration while moving.

Like I said, the rough ride come after the 31 tires, even with normal 235/75R15

If I'm not wrong, my truck have monroes in the front and gabriels back

Thanks for reply!

Doing the TT adds extra pre-load to the t-bars and will of course make the front end feel more like a truck and less like a cadillac. Have you checked out your bushings up front? Namely the sway bar to frame bushings and the end link bushings? Mine was all over the place and rode like hell till I changed out those bushings. After that it quieted right down and behaved much better.

The upper arm bushings are new
Also the sway bar ones (but not the links)
New left wheel bearing and cv are just reburfished

Check those end link bushings. If theres any play in those it seems to get magnified and cause the truck to do wierd crap. When I hit little rises or dips on the highway, like before and after bridges, mine would actually roll like a quarter, kind of like a turning teeter totter. Was scary, and noisy and rough. But just the end link bushings alone fixed a lot of that.

I have a full set of bushings and ball joints, plan to rebuild the entire front end this summer, but I went ahead and got a start on it by replacing the sway bar bushings and end links, both with Moog parts.

These parts alone made the front end ride like new again. The originals were not obviously broken, but the bushings were very worn. This eliminated all of the felt knocking and roughness in the front end.

Just seeing how much difference that made, I can only imagine how much better it will ride after the rest are done.

Thanks for the advice.

I'll change it

Regards

Well, new end link's and yeah, is a big difference

Regards

I still having a hard ride.

The new end links improve the ride, but still rough

When I pass over a road speed reducer, I feel something squeaking rear down, when the truck bounce up and down.

Still feeling every little bump in the road.

A buddy here recently done shocks on his 2002 Explorer along with resolve the squeaking in the rear. Good grease at the bushings eliminates all the noise and generally drive smoother.

Like I said, the rough ride come after the 31 tires, even with normal 235/75R15

What exactly does this mean? What tire make and model are on it?

If you put aggressive tread off-road tires on, sure, it's going to be a lot less smooth ride, especially if they're larger and you inflate them to the max inflation on the sidewall which is probably double what is needed for a vehicle the weight of what's riding on them.

I must be misunderstanding because it's seeming like you are saying that you put on tires that are better for off-road use then are observing that they aren't as good for road use, which is a given.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A buddy here recently done shocks on his 2002 Explorer along with resolve the squeaking in the rear. Good grease at the bushings eliminates all the noise and generally drive smoother.

I'm thinking in change the shocks too

Here is no many options

- KYB (not sure what model)
- Gabriel
- Sach

Back