Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Sensor cable for the ABS controller.

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by fancyponies, September 13, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. fancyponies

fancyponies New Member

City, State:
    Ontario
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2000 Ford Explorer 4x4
    We put new bearings and hubs on both front wheels of my 2000 Ford Explorer 4x4 last year. The controller has been bad and I had it replaced August. At that time the mechanic told me that the cable which runs from the left front whell to the ABS controller had been broken and was now taped together. Since it is a co-ax cable he said it would not transmit data, and offered to put on a new bearing/hub assembly for me, which would presumably come with a new cable. I said I would check it out, so here I am. Do I really need to replace the whole new assembly just to replace that cable? Can I just buy one from Ford, or get an intact one from a wrecker, even if we do need to take out the bearing/hub assembly to change the cable? Thanks for any suggestions/replacement hints.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. BrooklynBay

BrooklynBay Moderator & long time member. Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Brooklyn, NY
    88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
  4. cmj141

cmj141 New Member

City, State:
    Scranton, PA
    1998 Ford Explorer Sport
    I wound like to know this as well. My old one was ripped out so I just put a used one on tonight which I mightve damaged when pulling the sensor out of the hub. I'm hoping u don't have to buy a new cable ($80-150). Btw yes you can buy just the abs wire harness and not the hub. Although if you can find a hub for 80$ then might as well.

5. budwich

budwich Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ont
    96 XL
    IF you can get the old sensor off (rust, rust, rust, rust....), then you can try doing the same on a cheap used hub to salvage a replacement without replacing the whole hub.... it is a tough. As indicated, standalone wiring is basically as expensive as buying a "off shore" hub.