Sensor cable for the ABS controller. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sensor cable for the ABS controller.

fancyponies

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer 4x4
We put new bearings and hubs on both front wheels of my 2000 Ford Explorer 4x4 last year. The controller has been bad and I had it replaced August. At that time the mechanic told me that the cable which runs from the left front whell to the ABS controller had been broken and was now taped together. Since it is a co-ax cable he said it would not transmit data, and offered to put on a new bearing/hub assembly for me, which would presumably come with a new cable. I said I would check it out, so here I am. Do I really need to replace the whole new assembly just to replace that cable? Can I just buy one from Ford, or get an intact one from a wrecker, even if we do need to take out the bearing/hub assembly to change the cable? Thanks for any suggestions/replacement hints.

I wound like to know this as well. My old one was ripped out so I just put a used one on tonight which I mightve damaged when pulling the sensor out of the hub. I'm hoping u don't have to buy a new cable ($80-150). Btw yes you can buy just the abs wire harness and not the hub. Although if you can find a hub for 80$ then might as well.

IF you can get the old sensor off (rust, rust, rust, rust....), then you can try doing the same on a cheap used hub to salvage a replacement without replacing the whole hub.... it is a tough. As indicated, standalone wiring is basically as expensive as buying a "off shore" hub.

Back