Sport Trac re-power | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sport Trac re-power

Looks very good! I definitely want to follow this.

Just out of curiosity, because diesels generally rev lower than gasoline engines, have you given any thought to the transmission/rear end ratios and the speeds you will run in each gear?

Thank you. Yes I will have to address that. I am going to run a 235/85 16 tire. that is 3'' taller than what is on it now so that will help some. I still might have to change out the gears. Now it has 3.73.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I decided to move the battery to the back and mount it in the bed side. This freed up some room in the front and also helped with getting some of the weight off the front end. I still have to mace a cover for it.

Attachments

• 115.jpg
    115.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 606
  • 113.jpg
    113.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 590

I wanted to keep all the factory guages as well as accessories. I got new sending units for the guages and installed them in the diesel. For the tac to work I cut the factory trigger whell from the pulley and mounted it with a spacer on the crank. Then I made a new mount for the puckup sensor.That's all I had to do for the factory guages. I also installed aftermarket oil and temp guages. I don't know how I want to mount them so for now they are sitting in a pod on the dash.

I had to make new mounts for the alternator and the AC compressor. I kept everything 6 rib for the belt. I still have to get a custom hose made for the AC.

Attachments

• 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 574
  • 506.jpg
    506.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 610

I kept the stock explorer radiator and mounted a ford taurus fan an it. I got a cheap ebay intercooler and mounted it down low behind the bumper.

Attachments

• ex1.jpg
    ex1.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 636

Good work on the accessory layout.

Thank you. Yes I will have to address that. I am going to run a 235/85 16 tire. that is 3'' taller than what is on it now so that will help some. I still might have to change out the gears. Now it has 3.73.

I took a minute to run some numbers with this. I have a spreadsheet setup so I can change tire size, gear ratio, rpm. Assuming you are running a tire with a 32" diameter, 3.73 rear end, M5R2 and the motor revs to 3000rpm, the top speeds per gear are as follows:

1st (3.75:1) 20mph
2nd (2.32:1) 33mph
3rd (1.43:1) 54mph
4th (1:1) 77mph
5th (0.75:1) 102mph

I think you will probably find 1st gear to be unnecessary. I have no idea what the optimal shift rpm is for a diesel. You will be slamming through the gears like the 'snowman.' :)

With low range on the t-case you will be putting some wicked torque to the ground. :burnout:

I would so love a diesel explorer. The diesels are pricey compared to the all too common gasser. How do you adapt the M5R2 to the 4bt? Is there a kit available?

3.73s arent going to be mileage friendly for a 32" tire. You'll get much better mileage with 3.55s. These motors start really using fuel over 1800 RPM. 3.08s will be good if you run freeways a lot, but you'll suffer some on acceleration. (but thats why they make bigger turbos. :D )

I would so love a diesel explorer. The diesels are pricey compared to the all too common gasser. How do you adapt the M5R2 to the 4bt? Is there a kit available?

The step vans that these came in either had a chevy or ford adapter on them. Of course mine had the chevy one:thumbdwn:so I sold that and bought a ford one. With the adapter any small block trans bolts right up using the stock ford clutch. The trans I used was from an 03 f150 with a 4.2l V6. The V6 still used the old small block bell pattern.

3.73s arent going to be mileage friendly for a 32" tire. You'll get much better mileage with 3.55s. These motors start really using fuel over 1800 RPM. 3.08s will be good if you run freeways a lot, but you'll suffer some on acceleration. (but thats why they make bigger turbos. :D )

Yea, that's what I was thinking. Hopefully with the 32'' tire I can live with it for a while. The funds have run dry on this one so gears will have to wait.

Here's a couple pics of the motor in and the wiring nitemare in progress. It actually wasn't terrible, I just hate doing wiring! A lot of it just had to be lengthened. All the wiring for the fuel injectors, throttle position sensor and anything else I didn't need was removed from the harness. The last pic is the harness all buttoned back up. Also you can see where I mounted the aircleaner. I moved the washer fluid resevior up to the front to make room for it.

Attachments

• 508.jpg
    508.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 586
  • 504.jpg
    504.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 569
  • 503.jpg
    503.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 565

That bring us up to date. This week I got the truck running and driveing, however I am working out some issues. My first impressions are awesome:D. I had a leak from the rear main so I got that fixed. Also I had a leak on the injection pump, got that fixed. My vac pump isn't up to snuff. Some times it can't keep up so I have to go another route there. The big issue I have right now ie some major blue smoke during a cold start. I'm still diagnosing that but an leaning towards valve stem seals. Anyways here's some finished pics.I have loads of pics if anybody needs to see something in perticular just let me know.

Attachments

• 902.jpg
    902.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 568
  • 511.jpg
    511.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 565
  • 909.jpg
    909.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 557
  • 512.jpg
    512.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 580

We need a video of this machine running.

Very well done. It looks like it belongs in there.

I agree, a video would be sweet.

Small update, I got the battery cover done. Other than that I have just been driving the thing. I need bigger tires. Right now the gearing is terrible.

Attachments

• bat cover.jpg
    bat cover.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 562

qumanchew said:
Small update, I got the battery cover done. Other than that I have just been driving the thing. I need bigger tires. Right now the gearing is terrible.

Cmon man you gotta quit teasing us and show us video! Even the battery cover looks sweet lolol

Sorry guy's, no video yet. I did get some used 32'' tires on it . That helped the gearing some but I still need to re-gear it. I'm thinking 3.55. Anybody know if they are available for the dana 35?

Sorry guy's, no video yet. I did get some used 32'' tires on it . That helped the gearing some but I still need to re-gear it. I'm thinking 3.55. Anybody know if they are available for the dana 35?

Yup, they came stock in Ex D35.

Still waiting for video!

I have not posted in over a decade. This is worthy of me coming out of hibernation.

Subscribed!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks man. The truck is running great and I've got about 25k miles on it since the swap. I was averaging 28mpg with the 3.55 gears. I haven't logged enough miles with the 3.08s yet, but I think I'll be over the 30 mpg mark. I've been collecting parts to build an explorer for my wife to drive. I'll start a build thread in the next month or so.

Back