Strange clicking on the front end | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Strange clicking on the front end

Grizzwald12

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer XLT
For the past couple months i've had a strange on and off clicking in what sounds the the front suspension somewhere. It usually starts after i brake and continues for maybe 8 or 9 seconds. It's not a constant clicking though. I took it to a local shop and they said it might be my brakes because my rotors were slightly warped so i went ahead and did a brake change. unfortunately, the clicking still continues. i'm an automotive student at siu and if i can, i want to get the problem determined and get it fixed during an open shop day. is there anyone that knows where the clicking may be coming from?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That sounds like the same clicking that I have in my front end, the only thing that I can think of is maybe my CV shafts. I've gone through, not the sway bar, not the ball joints, not the brakes, not very sure what it could be besides that.

I thought I had a similar problem I was thinking it was something in the front end when in actuality it was the rear parking break drums the springs let go and they were rattling around in there. And my parking break still worked so give it a check.

Brake pad shims???

I recently had a loud clicking sound that varied with speed coming from the rear end. It didn't start until about 5mph and stopped around 20mph. Anytime I got in that range it started clicking again.

If you are having a similar problem, my advice to you is to first check your parking brake.

In my situation, the parking brake shoes rusted to the point to where they would no longer stay in place. The clicking sound was caused by the shoes rubbing and bouncing on the inside of the rotor.

This is a very easy fix, as all you need to do is swap out the shoes.

I hope this post helps someone out.

Back