• Register Today It's free!

Supercharging a 91 explorer xlt

Chance C

Reaction score
City, State
California
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Explorer XLT
I wan't to supercharge my explorer, but not sure what to look for.

I know I want a paxton mill, I also have a budget of about 1500

I just want to know if this is even possible and if so what should I look for and what should I expect going into this.

and if anyone has any suggestions of any superchargers that are within my price range(that are decent of course, I am willing to raise the budget if necessary. it would just push the project back a little lol) I would greatly appreciate it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You should expect to spend about 25% more than whatever it is you budget. You won’t get a huge increase in power (it’d certainly be noticeable). Are you an automatic?

They dont make kits for these motors anymore..you can try to find a used paxton or vortech kit but probably not for $1500..

Honestly unless you plan to run alot off boost and drop serious money into the build and tuning,it isnt worth it..

You would be stuck running about 6-8lbs TOPS and that low of boost wouldnt be worth the cost. .the 4.0 isnt a cheap motor to mod and get large gains from

You should expect to spend about 25% more than whatever it is you budget. You won’t get a huge increase in power (it’d certainly be noticeable). Are you an automatic?
yes, I'm automatic.

I’d plan on a performance rebuild of the A4LD as well.

Back