DjDom

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Toronto, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XL(imited)
Hey all,

I've had my ABS light on for several years now and am getting quite fed up with it.

The light turns on during the initial self test when starting the truck, and turns off once the truck is on. However, it turns back on when moving.
Long story short, the light is off, but once I start moving, it turns on.

So, I assumed it has to be a sensor.
I have a new front left hub and a new rear sensor. The front right hub is 2 years old and doesn't have any problems.

What could the issue be? I'm sick of that yellow light and would like my ABS back before winter, since last winter was not fun without it..

Thanks,

Dom

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No point in guessing; have the codes read. It requires a somewhat more sophisticated scanner than the basic, power-train only one, but I believe that most auto supply stores now provide those as a free service.
Good luck!

Hey all,
I've had my ABS light on for several years now and am getting quite fed up with it.
Dom

No point in guessing; have the codes read. It requires a somewhat more sophisticated scanner than the basic, power-train only one, but I believe that most auto supply stores now provide those as a free service.
Good luck!

Aha, here's the best part. There is no stored code..
I have a scanner that connects to anything within a Ford, from the GEM to Powertrain, to ABS. There's no ABS code!

So, I'm stuck guessing.

And, none in Canada offer free scanning.

Obviously, your ABS system is failing the self-test, which if memory serves, runs when the vehicle speed reaches around 15MPH. Unless your ABS controller is toast, it should store a code when lighting the warning indicator. I do not know what scanner you have. Unless it's a Ford-approved pricey brand, it's quite possible that the software does not cover your model year ABS correctly. There have been many changes during the years, and the small companies that make these devices cannot possibly make sure that they work correctly with every system on every brand and model year. I had a problem with accessing ABS functions on my '98 Explorer and similar vintage Grand Marquis: the scanner read the trouble codes but would not execute any tests, reporting some nonsense instead. When I complained, they simply told me that they don't have access to any of these older vehicles to even test their software, and that was it. I would suggest using a different scanner and see what happens, even you have to pay - it's still cheaper than guessing.

I have a scanner that connects to anything within a Ford, from the GEM to Powertrain, to ABS. There's no ABS code!

So, I'm stuck guessing.

Obviously, your ABS system is failing the self-test, which if memory serves, runs when the vehicle speed reaches around 15MPH. Unless your ABS controller is toast, it should store a code when lighting the warning indicator. I do not know what scanner you have. Unless it's a Ford-approved pricey brand, it's quite possible that the software does not cover your model year ABS correctly. There have been many changes during the years, and the small companies that make these devices cannot possibly make sure that they work correctly with every system on every brand and model year. I had a problem with accessing ABS functions on my '98 Explorer and similar vintage Grand Marquis: the scanner read the trouble codes but would not execute any tests, reporting some nonsense instead. When I complained, they simply told me that they don't have access to any of these older vehicles to even test their software, and that was it. I would suggest using a different scanner and see what happens, even you have to pay - it's still cheaper than guessing.

Yup, it's failing the secondary test. Not the initial one.
I've tried a few places, no one can read the code.
I really don't want to take it to the dealership cause they'll take $100 for a scan..

I believe the ABS controller will erase the stored code if it passes the initial start test. So every time you start the truck and the light is off you will get no codes. You will need to hook up the reader while the light is on.

Do you have a good set of matching tires-brand and size? Or is one tire worn badly?

If the tire rotational speed is not the same front to rear-an abs code may be displayed.

Try unplugging all the abs sensors and plug them back in in case one is not making good connection.

Also, just because a sensor (or hab assembly) has been replaced, you may still have a wiring fault somewhere that is affecting the reading from said sensor. A code should be stored when related to a speed sensor issue (if thats what it is, going by the original concern of it coming on only when moving). Unfortunatly, it sounds to me the best way to diag this, properly, would be monitoring the speed sensor PIDS while the vehicle is in motion, and verifying that each speed sensor is outputting the correct speed (and all must match) to the abs module (not ruling out a bad module, but i have seen way more sensors/wiring issues fail before i see a module fail). call different ford dealership, ask how much a diag is, and most of the time if you haggle right, you can get a free diag, depending on the dealership. also, ask to talk to a tech, 9 times out of 10, the service writer will get one and if you slip them a 20 cash, the tech will go ride with yea with the IDS, or NGS hooked up and monitor that stuff while you drive. just call around and ask. hope this helps!!

So, I'm stuck guessing.

Can your scan tool record live data? You may be able to trap the problem.
If not, how long does the light stay on? Could you have someone else drive while you work the scan tool and see if you can catch the intermittent code?

Do you have a good set of matching tires-brand and size? Or is one tire worn badly?

If the tire rotational speed is not the same front to rear-an abs code may be displayed.

Try unplugging all the abs sensors and plug them back in in case one is not making good connection.

All my tires are great. I had the problem before getting new tires too, so I know that's not the problem.. All the sensors are making good connection, otherwise the light would be on from the start up of the truck. I've checked them.

Also, just because a sensor (or hab assembly) has been replaced, you may still have a wiring fault somewhere that is affecting the reading from said sensor. A code should be stored when related to a speed sensor issue (if thats what it is, going by the original concern of it coming on only when moving). Unfortunatly, it sounds to me the best way to diag this, properly, would be monitoring the speed sensor PIDS while the vehicle is in motion, and verifying that each speed sensor is outputting the correct speed (and all must match) to the abs module (not ruling out a bad module, but i have seen way more sensors/wiring issues fail before i see a module fail). call different ford dealership, ask how much a diag is, and most of the time if you haggle right, you can get a free diag, depending on the dealership. also, ask to talk to a tech, 9 times out of 10, the service writer will get one and if you slip them a 20 cash, the tech will go ride with yea with the IDS, or NGS hooked up and monitor that stuff while you drive. just call around and ask. hope this helps!!
Can your scan tool record live data? You may be able to trap the problem.
If not, how long does the light stay on? Could you have someone else drive while you work the scan tool and see if you can catch the intermittent code?

I use ForScan and ScanXL with the Ford package on my laptop.
Both can read and record live PID data. I'm not sure if the ForScan can read live ABS data, but I know ScanXL can.

I'll try it out later. What should I look for, faulty ABS? And do you know which PIDs I should monitor exactly?

Thanks for the input everyone! :)

scan XL is a very good program, especially if you have the enhanced data addon - only the abs pids can be accessed with the enhanced package. I would look for pids that have anything to do with wheel speed - i cant remember the exact naming of the top of my head at this moment. and also pull any codes if you can while the light is on and while the vehicle is running.

Also don't forget to reset the PCM. It does wonders...:)

scan XL is a very good program, especially if you have the enhanced data addon - only the abs pids can be accessed with the enhanced package. I would look for pids that have anything to do with wheel speed - i cant remember the exact naming of the top of my head at this moment. and also pull any codes if you can while the light is on and while the vehicle is running.

In ScanXL, under settings select PID Config. Under Category Type select ABS.
I think then you have to validate the selected PID's, I dont exactly remember but if you play around with it a bit you should be able to narrow down the list.

You can then select the ones you want to monitor and capture live data to the disk. I haven't played around with that software for a while but its not that hard to figure out.

All my tires are great. I had the problem before getting new tires too, so I know that's not the problem.. All the sensors are making good connection, otherwise the light would be on from the start up of the truck. I've checked them.

Not necessarily. There may be an "intermittent" connection even though they are plugged in. This connection may be lost when you hit a bump in the road, for instance.

The abs sensors can be cleaned. Have you tried that yet?

Not necessarily. There may be an "intermittent" connection even though they are plugged in. This connection may be lost when you hit a bump in the road, for instance.

The abs sensors can be cleaned. Have you tried that yet?

They're all connected properly. It always happens at the same speed, regardless of road smoothness or time.
I can drive for 10 mins under around 20 km/h, and no light.

The sensors are new/clean. I've even cleaned the plugs and used dielectric grease.

Back