Thinking of Picking up a '93 Ranger | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Thinking of Picking up a '93 Ranger

mrsteve

Reaction score
City, State
Silver Spring, Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT
I haven't posted here in years but I figured it would be the best spot to ask.

I have a friend with a '93 Ranger, 4-cyl, 5-speed, 2WD, Splash model.

It has 103k miles on it. He says the clutch is great and the A/C blows cold.

I'm thinking of taking it off his hands since it has been sitting infront of his house for 2 months now that he as a F250 for work.

I need something with a little utility (able to haul the dog around, dump runs, home depot runs, etc) but gets good gas mileage AND is reliable enough to drive my 120 mile (highway) round trip commute to work each day.

I'm going to offer him $1,400. Paint is in good shape, it has 17" Ford Cobra R wheels, interior looks good.

Anything I should watch out for? I've heard the rear spring shackles can rust out? Also that the seats aren't too comfortable.

Thanks guys.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the rear spring shackles on my 1995 explorer rusted Completely through on one side and was barely holding together on the other. talk about a reality check knowing that the rear end was barely held on under the car!

its something to easily overlook but its now a check off on my maintenance routine

SOUnds like a good deal. Manual tranny so you don't have to worry about the pos a4ld...I'd buy it.

...i'm fond of the 2.3's myself....120 miles a day will be rough on any vehicle...i would put some money in the bank just to be safe as the clutch when it goes, is about 700-800 bucks...these things also have little brakes so you might want to check those for that kind of milage...;)

Go for it! cl'er :D

I'd hit that. Give it time, everything will eventually rust. Just look for bad rust (holes or thin metal)

Back