• Register Today It's free!

93 Ranger Transmission

MarkOPKS

Reaction score
City, State
Overland Park, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT 4.0
My buddy has a 93 ranger 3.0 4x4 5 speed manual, and his tranny has a pretty decent leak at the top near the shifter. He has filled it up regularly, so it's definitely not low on fluid. When the truck is in neutral and the shifter is to the left (near 1st/2nd), there is a pretty bad grinding noise. Its weird bc the the shifter is still in neutral. Also when shifting into 1st and 2nd it grinds for a second, but drives fine.

Any ideas? Thanks for the help

tras. noise from D.L.M.Sr.

The noise that you are most likely hearing is the bearings going out.The slight grinding that you are getting is because the syncros are going bad. trans. needs rebuilt/replaced. I had the same problem,did not fix,now looking for replacement. I have told trany has to come out of '91-'94 ranger 3.0 only,or mozda B3000 '94 only. Personaly if I had the money I would try to make another trany fit,after all the 2.9v6 is only 1 10th of one liter smaller, and do not know why Ford would not make the trany fit more the one engine size,espiecally when there are so close to each other.About the leak you my be over filling,or the gasket for some reason or other has gone bad. Check fill level pull fillplug on side of trany,fluid should beable to touch fluid by putting little finger in and bending it.If you can do that it is full,if fluid wants to come out when you open plug it is over filled and will find the easyest way out.

Back