Ticking sound from engine | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ticking sound from engine

jrmexplorer

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Limited
So I have just over 6k miles and my wife noticed a ticking sound coming from the engine while she stood outside the car as I moved it into the garage. It's coming from the engine itself and doesn't go away once it warms up or after its driven. Any ideas? I've checked the oil and its fine.

I have an appointment with the dealer scheduled tommorow morning and will let you know what I find out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Fuel injectors?

There's a TSB on Cold Engine Startup Ticking Noise 11 - 8 -26. When I saw the pictures of how to repair it on the dealerships computer, it looks like they have to take the engine apart to repair the noise. I have the ticking noise too and I notice it despite the engine being warmed up.

The direct injection causes ticking. The f-150 Ecoboosts have it as well. It's normal.

All the vehicles i had with VVTI( variable valve timng) had this issu and its normal. V6 is not direct injection.

So.... if the 6 isn't DI then what causes the ticking noise. Mine ticks pretty loud when it's cold

First thought that came to me was ....

... "It's a bomb - run!!" :)

The fuel injectors opening and closing can cause a ticking noise, doesn't necessarily have to be direct injected, the port injected engines will make this noise too.

If it only happens when the car is cold, it might be something else, but if it is always there, a good chance is that it is the injectors.

All the vehicles i had with VVTI( variable valve timng) had this issu and its normal. V6 is not direct injection.

2011 most certainly is. Direct quote...
"3.5-liter V6 that puts out 290 horsepower and 255 lb-ft. of torque. The naturally aspirated V6 also features direct injection and twin independent variable camshaft timing"

It's basically the newly done ecoboost version of the 3.5 without the turbos.

Vulnox, I am not sure what source you quoted, but they are most certainly incorrect. On the Ford website, under engine specifications for the Explorer, it is clearly stated that the 3.5 uses multi-port fuel injection. Only the 2.0 ecoboost uses direct injection.

I have heard a ticking on my wife's Explorer. However, we're never in a place that I can pop the hood and isolate it. It is definitely from the passenger side and happens semi-randomly. Revving the engine speeds it up initially, then it disappears as the RPM climbs.

Call your dealership to check for the TSB on Ticking Noise . There is definitely a TSB on it since my dealer printed out all the TSBs that are related to the 2011 Explorer so I can see.

Says exactly this

11-9-11
3.5/3.7L cold engine startup ticking noise.

They also have a repair for it. The pictures showed that they have to remove engine parts like the camshaft to fix it.

...I have an appointment with the dealer scheduled tommorow morning and will let you know what I find out.
jrmexplorer,

It’s great the appointment went well. Please also keep in mind I’m available to help by forwarding this to the Customer Service Manager in your area. So I can do this, PM me with your contact information, VIN, approximate mileage, and dealer name/state.

..I have the ticking noise too and I notice it despite the engine being warmed up.
I have heard a ticking on my wife's Explorer. However, we're never in a place that I can pop the hood and isolate it...
1995E & TxRanger351w,

Please drop me a line via PM with the above details and I’ll be happy to arrange a call from the Customer Service Manager in your area.

Also, a big thanks to those taking their time to offer help. :)

Cory

1995E & TxRanger351w,

Please drop me a line via PM with the above details and I’ll be happy to arrange a call from the Customer Service Manager in your area.

Also, a big thanks to those taking their time to offer help. :)

Cory

Just saw this.

Had the car in the shop a couple weeks ago for several TSB issues - Roof noise, windshield buzzing noise (second time), Sync upgrade, and the engine noise. Apparently there was a "pulley" that needed replacing.

I sat in the waiting lane for 10 minutes before anyone helped me (I had setup an appointment a week prior). I made sure to keep the vehicle in drive and my foot on the brake, that's when the noise was really noticeable. At first the guy kept saying he couldn't hear it, even though everyone standing around could. He finally "heard" it and agreed that it didn't sound right. Picked up the car the next day and it was gone (so far...although my wife called me the other day to say there was a new/weird noise.)

I really like the vehicle, and I get that there are first year blues, but for $38,000 there sure are a lot of issues.

Read an article on a blog the other day. There was a quote that I really liked - "No noise is louder than the first rattle from a new car."

...Picked up the car the next day and it was gone (so far...although my wife called me the other day to say there was a new/weird noise.)...
I’m glad the first noise is gone, TxRanger351w. Maybe your wife just forgot to feed the mice? ;)

Seriously though, please don’t hesitate to drop me a line via PM and I’ll forward the details to your Regional Customer Service Manager.

Cory

Just saw this.

Had the car in the shop a couple weeks ago for several TSB issues - Roof noise, windshield buzzing noise (second time), Sync upgrade, and the engine noise. Apparently there was a "pulley" that needed replacing.

It's interesting. I have a mother who has a Trailblazer. At one point, she told me it too went to the dealer for an engine "ticking" noise - it too was the pulley that needed replacing. I'm seeing pulley replacements on a variety of vehicles nowadays - so, IMO not just Explorers or Fords...

My 17 explorer ticks after idle down but engine still cool seems less noticeable after rpm change has had factory fill drained early(469mi) another service at 3954mi using 5w20 Pennzoil Platinum & Ford fl500s filter both times dealer serviced. I wouldn't think its a lubricant issue. It's under full warranty Lord knows it's already been there for replacement parts twice any info would be nice I know early 11-14 explorers ticked and the 3.0 duratec like installed in 08-12 escapes ticked do I need to be concerned THANKS.

More than likely you hear the injectors they are some loud puppies last 4 ford's with the 3.5 I've had 2 explorers a taurus, and an edge. All have the exact same tick at idle both the edge and 1 explorer we're brand new. Even the dealer stated it's the injectors and they're noisy

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 17 explorer ticks after idle down but engine still cool seems less noticeable after rpm change has had factory fill drained early(469mi) another service at 3954mi using 5w20 Pennzoil Platinum & Ford fl500s filter both times dealer serviced. I wouldn't think its a lubricant issue. It's under full warranty Lord knows it's already been there for replacement parts twice any info would be nice I know early 11-14 explorers ticked and the 3.0 duratec like installed in 08-12 escapes ticked do I need to be concerned THANKS.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Your thread was merged with this existing one found using the Forum's 'Search' feature (upper right).

Peter

Back