Timing cover seized on broken bolt.. Heat ok to use? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Timing cover seized on broken bolt.. Heat ok to use?

J.

Reaction score
City, State
Pittsburgh, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT
I've been on a two week adventure to get a broken water pump bolt out of my 5.0 V8 1998 Explorer. I got all the waterpump bolts out (except the broke one), 4 timing cover bolts and 4 oil pan to timing cover bolts. Harmonic balancer is pulled, and crank position sensor is out. I should now be able to remove timing cover to get at the broken bolt, but I can't. This bolt is broken with about 1/4 inch protruding into the timing cover where it's seized, holding the cover tightly in place. I've been PB blasting for 3 days, knocking on the broken stud with a screwdriver and tapping away with a rubber mallet. If I try to pry it, I know it will break. Is it wise to use heat on the cover near the stud? Or will I just melt/ warp the cover because it's aluminum. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

That's a tough one... You can try heat, but obviously be careful not to burn through the cover. Just be prepared... you may end up having to find a new cover. Sounds like you're committed at this point and have to get that thing off of there one way or another...

I have delt with this before I would give it a little bit of prying on the opposite side of the cover from the bolt to lift the cover then work a small flat blade screwdriver along the timing chain cover prying as you go the trick is to apply pressure on both sides of the broken bolt not just one side this will lift it off straight if you just pry on one side it will break for sure. Heating would be risky for sure but can be done if needed I would use a small propane torch instead of oxy aceteline. I can not remember if the oil pan has a gasket or silicone but it will most likely get damaged.

Nate

Got it off

Thanks guys.. I ended up getting it off pretty much like Nate said.. I used a pry tool, almost like a flathead screwdriver filed even sharper. Located a spot that I could get a tiny bit of flex on the cover, lined up the pry tool on that spot and gave it a wack with a rubber mallet which broke it loose, then just move around the edges bit by bit until it came off. Thanks for the help!

Back