Coolant leak from timing cover?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Coolant leak from timing cover??

BRN2FSH

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a 93' with a 4.0L. I have a slow coolant leak that I originally thought was coming from the T-stat housing. I replaced the T-stat and T-stat housing and still have the leak. I pressure washed the engine to clean things up so I could get a better idea of where the coolant is leaking from. It appears to me that the coolant is leaking from the timing chain cover on the drivers side of the engine at one of the coolant passages through the cover. The timing chain cover gasket is protruding out and broken in this area as well. There is no coolant coming from the water pump or water pump gasket and no coolant coming from the t-stat housing. I was ready to just replace the timing chain cover gasket until I read in my Haynes Manual that the engine had to be removed to install the timing chain cover gasket because the oil pan gasket has to be replaced at the same time. Has anyone else experienced a coolant leak in this area and what was done to fix it? Can the timing chain cover gasket be replaced without replacing the oil pan gasket?

Thanks,

Scott

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Leak

I've had a leak for awhile now and went to the garage today to have a pressure test done to find it. I was told that I have a leak at the Timing Cover gasket. How did you make out in getting yours fixed? Did you do it yourself or have a garage do it?

I'm interested in this as well. Does anyone have an update???

My 91 Sport is leaking at the same spot, took it to my local mechanic and he said it pressure tested fine, but to actually fix it would be a big job. If the engine have to be removed I can see why. The truck has 190,000mi on it and I only spent $1,000 on the whole truck about a year ago, not sure if it's worth fixing. Any advice? Will the truck keep running with the leak?

Yes, an update would be nice as I have been told I have the same leak.

Apparently I have a leak here, the thermostat, as well as the ECT. But I'll look for those threads and post there.

Please someone chime in on this issue. Did you do it yourself? Was it easy? Tools involved? Price in parts?

Thanks.

From my "reads", there are two bolts under the oil pan that are holding the timing cover on. So to take the timing cover off, you need to lift the engine enough to drop the pan to get at the bolts... ughhh!!!! There are threads in some of the subforums that indicate that but not really a "step by step work guide". I had a similar leak in my 96. I used "stop leak" to stop the leak... which it appears to have for the last two years. I bought some of the gasket set (intake side of things), but haven't gotten around to doing anything as my 96 is probably near its life time... maybe.

Since my above post I bought some of that copper leak sealer for the coolant system since I had the leak at the timing cover and two pin hole leaks in the radiator. It has been probably 3 or 4 weeks since putting in the sealer and it hasn't leaked since. So I guess that would be my recommendation to fix the problem. But then again I don't expect my explorer to last me more than another year, if yours is in better shape you probably want to look into a more "proper" fix.

I have a leak at my timing cover. I have used the liquid glass and it did not stop my leak. Thank God, I have a great local mechanic and agreed to do the job for $220 if I buy the parts. That is the norm for me. I get a discount price on parts through my son-in-law's auto parts store. He said my car will be with him for two days to do the job. So I am guessing it is a big job. From the sound of what everyone is quoting I am having this done at a really good price. Mario has always done me good. I also send him a lot of clients as well.

I have a 98 Explorer with the 4.0 SOHC, my leak is also at the timing cover-on the pass. side. Mine leaks each time I exceed 2000 rpm( which is very easy). I added some leak stop stuff too, it slowed it down a little. What a dumb design to have to pull the ladder frame(oil pan) to take off the front cover? Mine has 215,000 on it, has rebuilt tranny,& new alternator everything else works like new. What a pain this is going to be, now that it's raining nonstop here in Washington.

Back