Tow Mirror swap?

NickStorey

Reaction score
City, State
London, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer XLT, 4.6 V8
hey guys,

Been thinking I'd like to swap my mirrors out for factory tow mirrors. I know some mirros almost fit perfectly on different vehicles, so how do able do you think it'd be to swap

these mirrors(theyre 99-06 GMC OEM mirrors, look like a close fit, onto my 05 XLT

41WbF6DR6IL._SX466_.jpg

I would assume wiring wouldn't match for them, but was thinking either gypsy them up for power or find an adapter, or fail that just go manual with no heat

I did up a photo shop on my truck, kinda looks like the excursion has

thoughts/pics if Im not alone out there lol

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd think you should be able to wire them. It's the fit I'd be concerned about. Order them and give it a go. Should be able to return if wont fit, right?

Very interested to know if these would fit. I'm willing to wire if they do. PLEASE keep us informed. Don't let this die.

-Dubya

I would be concerned about the correct physical fitment on the vehicle. There are 3 bolts (in a triangular layout) on your existing mirrors that need to fit in exactly the right position on your doors. If the bolts on your new mirrors don't line up properly the mirrors won't be secure, especially at highway speeds and you will have sealing issues. In fact, if they don't line up you probably won't be able to bolt them on at all. Also, even if by sheer luck the bolts do line up, the front edge of the mirror "arm" will also need to line up with the front edge of the door, or you'll have clearance issues. You probably won't want to do any cutting of the housing. Have a look at what I did in the modified 3rd gen section. My post is "05 Aviator mirrors on 03 Limited". These are an exact fit and I figured out the wiring and all functions work perfectly. Prior to this, I had picked up a set of nice heated/signal light mirrors off an 05 Freestar Limited, because I thought that they would fit. Well, the position of the bolts was way off and the housing on the front edge turned out to be substantially different and this was another Ford mirror. You should try to take measurements of the ones that you are considering. If you can get a set that will actually bolt on, you should be able to get the basic functions working. Wiring diagrams are a big help. Even if your existing mirrors don't have heat, at worst, you can tap the rear defroster circuit...I did this when I added heated mirrors to my old 96 Explorer.

I think its do-able, my plan is to do a dry run and see how the bolts line up, if they dont, I may put a metal plate over it, seal it off and drill custom mounts. however they look like the 3 bolts should line up, thats in a perfect world of course

as for power, I guess I will find the schematic for both the mirror and my model and ####ulate them together somehow, fail that, they will become manual/non-heated mirrors,

Ill keep y'all posted tho

They are expensive to boot. Are you getting them at a wrecking yard?

I can find them on ebay for about $130 for the pair shipped. Biggest concern is shipping em and they dont fit then I have to try and resell them, but probably wouldnt be hard to offload em, Im a part of a few truck communities.

Did you ever get it to work?

We need to get this going again, lol! I want tow mirrors!

I don't want them to tow, I don't tow anything. I want them for the look.

I'll sell you the ones off my super duty to test with.:thumbsup: They are the flag style, but then once you master the fitment you could just order the tow mirrors.

Airforce_guy Ive seen those before but although Im not adding the tow mirrors for aestetics, those do look butt ugly lol, I have had ZERO free time lately to attempt anything, although I measured out my buddys 99 silverado's mirrors and they seem to be dead on the dimensions I need. just gotta order up the mirrors now,

And thanks stic-o, I love how those ones look but they are soo far from the right fitting

I'm just worried about the bolts aligning with the holes, going from GM to ford, you know?

Just my 2 cents. I had an Escape and moved up to the Explorer when I bought a bigger camper. I have clip on mirrors that were cheap and work rather well.

I like everyone else on here would love to have 'oem' tow mirrors on my Ex also. I don't know why they don't seem to make exact fit tow mirrors or slip on tow mirrors for SUV's.

Anyway, I'm waiting to hear if these GMC mirrors would work. I checked out some pictures on EBAY and I think the angle of the door and radius are a little off. Trust me though, from the time I picked the Ex up back in September I've been looking at the mirrors of every make and model truck I see just to see if any look close. Surprising enough I think the F250's look the closest but I have yet to wonder around a U-Pull-it to go searching for cheap mirrors for experimentation.

Keep us posted and don't let this thread die.

Look on eBay for "2003 F150 tow mirrors" And they're the exact same thing as pictured, but instead are advertised to fit on 98-03 F150's. The part that goes on to the door looks pretty close size and shape wise. The bolts lining up with the existing holes isn't really a big deal to me, as I'm pretty handy with a drill. The manual telescoping ones are $100 shipped on eBay. Thinking about ordering them and giving them a try, if not I know a few buddies whose truck would take them. Any advice before I commit?

Any updates???

Havent done anything yet, I just spent $700 getting my rear hub replaced, so I'm gonna be frugle for a bit before I spend any money on non-necessity upgrades lol, but when I do it I promise pics will be posted haha

Havent done anything yet, I just spent $700 getting my rear hub replaced, so I'm gonna be frugle for a bit before I spend any money on non-necessity upgrades lol, but when I do it I promise pics will be posted haha

Lol. Alright man, I'm just impatient. I'm almost out of school for the summer so I can make more money, is why I'm asking.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Going to be that* guy again. . Any updates?

Back