Treadwear Issue with Ventus S1 Noble 2 Hankooks | Page 15 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Treadwear Issue with Ventus S1 Noble 2 Hankooks

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
see post 277

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How do I know which one is 277?
Post numbers are shown on the bottom right of a post before "Quote" & "Reply"

Peter

Thank you all for your info in this thread, it was very helpful. Service Manager at my local dealer said they have seen this before and will do everything they can to help, at the very least prorated, but hopefully full free replacement of a different tire. Will be calling me back today.

2017 Explorer Sport - OEM Hankook Ventus 1 Noble 2 less than 9,000 miles down to 2-3/32nd. Dedicated Summer set only. Winter set ran from Nov-April here in Southwest PA.

Thanks again, and good luck to everyone. That's the worst treadwear I have ever experienced.

You should be able get free tires because less than 12k, it's 100% free.
Did you went to your dealership or you just called?

Welcome to the Forum XSportPA.:wave:
Please keep us updated.

Peter

Hey From Dallas! Have you cashed in on the Hankook tire debacle?

Hey fellas and ladies, Dallas TX checking in! We do love our 2018 Explorer Limited, it's a top-notch ride. Even for a guy at 6'6" I sit comfortably. Now, the gas tank would be my only complaint. It's too small!

As far as my title of this post, if you have Hankook tires, have you checked them recently? We recently had to have our 255/50R20 105H Ventus S1 Noble 2 with 16,300 miles replaced! They were worn evenly, but plumb wore out (measuring 4/32). I was beside myself! The guy at Discount tire didn't blink and filed for the proper tire warranty assistance so I was able to get new tires on our new vehicle.. but WHY? Why did the Hankook tires wear out so quickly? Why should I have to pay additional money to get tires on a vehicle with 16,300 miles? It's not a sports car with ultra soft compound tires, it's a family SUV for Pete's sake!

A quick glance on Tire Rack shows MANY others with the same problem. Apparently Hankook knows too.
"Special Service Message SSM 47195 to address 2015-2018 Explorer - Hankook Brand 20 Inch Tire - Tread Wear Tire Replacement."

I spoke to Ford to start, "...some 2015-2018 Explorer vehicles equipped with Hankook brand tires may exhibit tread wear that is not the result of vehicle alignment concerns. For customer satisfaction, Hankook is offering pro-rated tire replacement for vehicles with less than 36,000 Miles. This program is managed by Hankook Tire America Corp. and not claimed under Ford new vehicle limited warranty. If the tire side wall is marked as: 255/50R20 105H Ventus S1 Noble 2, contact Hankook Technical Service for possible pro-rated tire replacement..." You can tell Discount Tire and they'll know what to do, or file a consumer complaint with Ford so you can get a case number and take it to your local Ford Dealership service advisor so they can complete the process of getting your new tires and getting your family vehicle off of those dangerous tires.

I just wanted to let you guys, fellow Explorer Owners, this might be exclusive to 2018 Limited models, but none the less, it's important!
Did you got new hankook tire or different kind? And how long did it take?
Thank you

I hope they replace it, all the best and keep us updated.

Please keep us updated.

Peter

Thank you, will do. Hopefully able to get something different on there even though it may be a little more out of pocket. Reviews for the Michelin Premier and Defender, and the Bridgestone Duelers all look promising. Although I have a dedicated winter setup, so don't really need a winter focused A/S tire.

I took my car to the dealership with the wheels and tires in the back since my winter set was still currently on the car. Wanted them to see that I actually have the winter set, and so they could check the tread depth of the Hankooks.

My tire has the same issue. Almost 25k miles and the trends is probably below 4/32 now. They told me the trend is 4/32 when I did my oil change on 13k miles. I stopped by a Ford dealer today and the service advisor is going to submit the paperwork to Hankook for me. The service advisor that I talked to knows nothing and had to ask around. Got told by one of the SA that he did this last week for a customer with similars miles and he had to pay about %50 for new tires. H had to get Hankook tires and I believe he mentioned Optimo.

I just did research on Optimo and it has horrible reviews...

My tire has the same issue. Almost 25k miles and the trends is probably below 4/32 now. They told me the trend is 4/32 when I did my oil change on 13k miles. I stopped by a Ford dealer today and the service advisor is going to submit the paperwork to Hankook for me. The service advisor that I talked to knows nothing and had to ask around. Got told by one of the SA that he did this last week for a customer with similars miles and he had to pay about %50 for new tires. H had to get Hankook tires and I believe he mentioned Optimo.

Where did you do this? Because I went to many dealers and none of them had any ideas

Where did you do this? Because I went to many dealers and none of them had any ideas
Arizona. Maybe try to see if you can speak to other service advisors or the service manager? The first service advisor I talked to has no idea and told me they don't handle tire warranty. But the other service advisor heard us and stepped in and told her how to process it.

If I recall, the Optimo H426 was the OEM tire on my 2011 Limited. No idea about their performance since I replaced them the same day I picked up the vehicle based on reviews.

Peter

If I recall, the Optimo H426 was the OEM tire on my 2011 Limited. No idea about their performance since I replaced them the same day I picked up the vehicle based on reviews.

Peter

Yeah, the reviews are not that good. Not sure what do next... May just pay for Michelin Defender from DT

Yeah, the reviews are not that good. Not sure what do next... May just pay for Michelin Defender from DT
FYI, I worked out a deal with a tire shop that gave me $80/tire discount on new Yokohamas as long as I had less than 100 km on the Optimos. Maybe you can work out something like that with a local tire shop on the Optimos.

Peter

FYI, I worked out a deal with a tire shop that gave me $80/tire discount on new Yokohamas as long as I had less than 100 km on the Optimos. Maybe you can work out something like that with a local tire shop on the Optimos.

Peter
Do you mean you bought optimo and then exchanged?

Do you mean you bought optimo and then exchanged?
No. The Optimo tires were on the 2011 Explorer when I got it and the first thing I did was to drive right down to the tire shop and switched tires.

Peter

Please keep us updated.

Peter

Finally got the new tires installed, took a little time but the service adviser did take care of the issue. He has seen this before and called it a "known issue". Had no problem taking care of the warranty paperwork, and I did not have to pay anything at all. They had to go with the Hankook Dynapro HP2 which don't have great reviews either, but at least they have more tread than the old tires they removed... I'll be turning the vehicle back in within about 20,000 miles so hopefully they will last, especially since half of that should be on the separate winter tires. Also had to have a wheel bearing replaced at the same time, after I mentioned a growling noise coming from the back left, they confirmed it was shot, and said he had never seen one in that bad of shape after only 15,000 miles.

Wish everyone else the best of luck, and if your service adviser doesn't have a clue, find one that does!

Good luck, and thanks again for all the info!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

........... They had to go with the Hankook Dynapro HP2 which don't have great reviews either, but at least they have more tread than the old tires they removed...
At least now you have the Hankook tire that was meant to be used on SUV/Light Trucks. The previous one was meant for passenger cars.

Peter

Back