• Register Today It's free!

2016 Explorer with several issues

itdweeb99

Reaction score
City, State
North Ridgeville, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer XLT
I just bought a 2016 Explorer with 100k miles on it about a week ago. In that week, my radio screen is all white, sometimes flickering between white and black, sometimes half of the screen is white, half is black. Sometimes I can make out a few words on the screen. I tried doing a hard reboot on the radio by disconnecting the battery but made no difference. The radio still works but I can't see anything on the screen so I have no idea what station I'm on and can't take advantage of any features. Dealership I bought the car from says I should take it to a Ford dealership and ask them to update the "software". Pretty sure this radio is broken only one freaking week into me owning the car but I'd like to get everyone's feedback. Next issue is bubbled paint and chipped paint on the very edge of the hood. There was a bug shield on the hood so i didn't see this when i bought the car. Is Ford doing anything about this because I've looked at about 20 explorers years 2011-2017 and nearly every single one of them has this defect. Lastly, in this first week of me owning this car, the car keeps complaining that one of the tires is low and is at 25 psi. I hook up my compressor to the tire and it reads 36. WTF? Can anyone give me any insight on all of these issues that I'm having with a 2016 that ONLY has 100k miles?

Starting with the last issue, the TPMS sensor is probably bad on that wheel. TPMS is Tire Pressure Monitoring System.

The hood issue is well known. I believe it was their first use of an aluminum hood.

I don't think a software update will help that screen. Seems like the screen itself is going bad, but perhaps an owner of a 5th gen can confirm.

Best of luck going forward with this!

I just bought a 2016 Explorer with 100k miles on it about a week ago. In that week, my radio screen is all white, sometimes flickering between white and black, sometimes half of the screen is white, half is black. Sometimes I can make out a few words on the screen. I tried doing a hard reboot on the radio by disconnecting the battery but made no difference. The radio still works but I can't see anything on the screen so I have no idea what station I'm on and can't take advantage of any features. Dealership I bought the car from says I should take it to a Ford dealership and ask them to update the "software". Pretty sure this radio is broken only one freaking week into me owning the car but I'd like to get everyone's feedback. Next issue is bubbled paint and chipped paint on the very edge of the hood. There was a bug shield on the hood so i didn't see this when i bought the car. Is Ford doing anything about this because I've looked at about 20 explorers years 2011-2017 and nearly every single one of them has this defect. Lastly, in this first week of me owning this car, the car keeps complaining that one of the tires is low and is at 25 psi. I hook up my compressor to the tire and it reads 36. WTF? Can anyone give me any insight on all of these issues that I'm having with a 2016 that ONLY has 100k miles?
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
It does appear that it may be an issue with the screen/display itself. Usually if it's that APIM, the screen would be blank/black.
Since you have 100k miles on it, perhaps you should also be aware of this issue. Water pump failure leads to dead engine
I would seriously consider getting an extended warranty.

Peter

The hood thing, my 19 has it 2 years into ownership but I haven't had a chance to get the corrosion warranty done yet. None of the Fords here have body shops making the task slightly more complicated and one near me blocks out scheduling appointments for months at a time. there is a link to the paperwork to print out in this thread

Back