Upper ball joint came out of spindle, pictures explain it all !!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Upper ball joint came out of spindle, pictures explain it all !!!

MidnightRebel07

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Pittsburgh, Pa.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer Sport Trac
Ok, so I was heading out to sell some car parts. I hit a nice bump on the fine Pittsburgh roads, and this is what happened.

Now I get to try and get rockauto to replace the upper control arm/ balljoint and reimburse me for the cost of another alignment.

The balljoint came out of the spindle, the pinch bolt was not to right size that came with the balljoint and didn't keep the shaft in the spindle.

I've put on almost 400 miles since I've replaced the balljoints a couple weeks ago and haven't had any issues until today, WTF !!!!.

I put on all of the same new balljoints, outer tierod ends on my wifes Mounty, now I have to go and check those out. I also have to replace one of the tierod ends that I put on her Mounty (30 miles on it since replaced) because the boot ripped (already talked to rockauto and they sent me a new one) but I get to pay for another alignment, Damnit.

Luckily I was only going about 5-10 mph and coming to a stop, could've been alot worse.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When it separated it crushed all the grease out of the ball joint.

It's gonna be a long weekend and next week.

wow, never saw that one before--usually that takes a beatin with a BFH to get out of there. Even with the bolt pulled out.

Can you get some real good close ups of this? That cannot be the only kit out there like that. Kinda scary--

which brand of control arm was this?

Dude, that's heinous. Hope rockauto comes correct for you.

Looks like the Raybestos, or the AC delco prograde to me, judging by the size of the casing on the ball Joint & color of boot. :(

Maybe the wrong ball joint was in it? Can you get an exact measurement of the ball joint stud in mm's?

You sure it pulled out? From the image below, looks kinda like it sheared instead.

Anywho, you might have an uphill battle with any claims because your vehicle is "modified". Any modification (TT, larger tires, etc..) will increase the stress on parts - parts which were originally designed for stock configuration. For example, the TT puts the ball joint's angle (at ride height) closer to its angle limit - which increases the chances of failure.

picture.php

Raybestos Pro Grade upper and lower balljoints from rockauto.com.

I just hope I can get them to reimburse me for a new alignment and the parts because I've only had these parts on for three weeks and I've only driven it on the highway and city streets, I haven't even been offroading with them on the yet. Now I don't know if I wanna take the chance of getting stuck out on the trail.

Gman, I'll make sure to measure the stud tomorrow.

IZWack, It looks like it sheared because the grease on the shaft but it came out. I'll post more/ better pictures tomorrow.

Just curious, are your knuckles the stock knuckles?

I have the same ball joints and have beat on them unbelievably hard and that has not affected them at all. Something is def wrong here.

Yeah, as far as I know it's the stock size knuckle. It was on there when I bought it and the truck was completely stock back then at 34k miles.

BTW, from that last image, that bolt doesnt look like its installed all the way. That "lobe" of the bolt is supposed to go into the knuckle. In that picture, it doesnt look like its in all the way. This lobe is what keeps the ball joint onto the knuckle.

EDIT - this thread has a close up pic illustrating how that bolt sits:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1499087&postcount=1

Attachments

• lobe.jpg
    lobe.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 938

Yeah, when I installed them I banged on them to make sure they were secure, not sure if they would've needed to loosen the bolt when they did the alignment but I'm a safety nut and an extreme fanatic for going over stuff two and three times to make sure everything is safe and done the right way.

I even have my neighbor that's been a mechanic/bodyman/frame guy for over fourty years go over things that I've done for the first time and wanna make sure I did everything correct, he's even more of a safety nut then I am.

IZWack, yeah it was tightened completely and installed correct.

I followed MountaineerGreen's write-up and checked out the link you posted of how it's supposed to go on and it's all the way in.

This is why I am fearing replacing my ball joints myself...
But, Im doing a TT so I was gunna have to sooner or later :(

I installed the bolt/ nut that came with the new balljoint/ control arm and it looks the same as the factory set ????? I know I'm not getting stuck with the bill for a new alignment and parts.

I insatlled the UCA/ balljoints and lower balljoints on my wifes '97 Mounty and they were the same as the set I have on my '03 ST, uppers atleast.

I can't remember where but I've read about this happening before to someone with a 2 Gen Ex, I think it was here but not sure.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you can get better (close-up) pics of how that bolt is currently affixed to the knuckle, that would help a great deal in trying to figure out the cause.

Back