• Register Today It's free!

Weird Buzzing

Cjpooch

Reaction score
City, State
Saginaw, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer XLT
Need help guys/girls. About 45 mins ago I started getting a loud "buzzing" or "winding" noise coming from inside. It's in the drivers area around the steering column. Seems louder if I stick my head down by the pedels. It almost sounds like when an old computer is "thinking". I wasn't really doing anything when it started, just driving striaght. The noise will stop if I press the brake. I'm thinking something electrical because I don't have to push hard on the brake to make it stop, just enough for the truck to know my foot is on the pedal (not sure what the word I'm looking for is). I disco'd my battery and it stopped, but I hooked it up 20 mins later, and it started right back up. Doesn't matter if truck in running, or off and no key in it. I'm hoping my link worked below, but I posted on youtube to hear, link below. trying to do all of this on my iphone away from home, so I didn't have much time to search. I couldn't find anything after about 5 mins, so decided to post. Don't want a fire. Help please.

David

Youtube Video

Bump
All I can suggest is maybe start pulling fuses one buy one to identify the circuit.

If you pull a fuse and the buzzing quits--put it back to see if it starts again. if it does, leave it and start pulling the remaining fuses, to eliminate the possibility of 2 crossed circuits..

What sort of radio/sound system do you have? Is there a speaker near where you think the noise is coming from. Does the noise also occur if you put the key in the ACC position? If not, that would rule out some electrical components.

Back