What the H3LL is this? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What the H3LL is this?

nweibley said:
Can we get 13 people to donate $10 to get one of these god-forsaken things, and then find someone crazy enough to put it on their explorer long enough to get it dynoed. I realize it would probably be to our advantage to pay for the dyno run too, but it would be funny to see just how many ponies this thing detracts.
$10 each x 13? I could pick 10 of those things up from Home Depot for that price. :p
Tell you what, you paypal me $20 and I'll let you know how it does by my "seat of the pants" methods :D

As for electric superchargers, Thomas Knight has made a few varieties. Three starter motors spinning a turbo or M62. Works Great on a 2.0L! You just have to add a few hundred pounds of extra batteries to run it :confused:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

AAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHA

"In a completely stock 99' Dodge Neon sport, I gained ten horses and went from 34-37 wheel horsepower to 44-47 wheel horsepower (using a G-Tech Pro performance meter)."

"I honestly felt a 20 horsepower gain."

I sent him a question: "Hi, I am very interested in this supercharger. Should I also install an intercooler? Do you sell those too?"

captainradke said:
Now I know that this is off topic, but how do you get pictures under your names? I looked under the Avatars and I can't find anything to help. Thanks

the custom avatars we have is because we are elite elxplorers.. we help support the site with our membership and yearly dues

thank you I figured that out right after I posted that and I am probably going to join to this is a great web site

huskyfan23 said:
I sent him a question: "Hi, I am very interested in this supercharger. Should I also install an intercooler? Do you sell those too?"

LMFAO! I should ask him if he has a turbo version. ??????? lol

never mind (please delete).

I don't know. In my mind, it would seem like this would work. But it ain't gonna be no 40 some horsepower increase. The blower would have to be pushing at least as much air as the engine is sucking in through natural aspiration. But yeah, the electrical load would be bad. But seriously, why do yall think it wouldn't work?

F14CRAZY said:
But seriously, why do yall think it wouldn't work?
Two reasons. First is how much air this blower can move like you mentioned.Second is how this blower moves air. Any of these ventilation type blowers are not designed to pressurize air, so as the manifold pressure increases the blower will move less air. I guarantee this thing can't move enough air to feed a 4.0 at WOT at any relevant pressure.

hahahahaha oh no not again.....

You guys remember the guy with the BMW 5 series who got a spare hood and cut holes in it then mounted up a gas powered leaf blower into his intake and drove around like that? Thats hilarious!

That thing is going to RESTRICT your intake, not add boost....besides when the little plastic or metal impellar comes loose, I hope you have a screen in front of your throttle body :)

If you buy one of those let me know, I have a bridge I would like to sell you...

But guuuyyyys, its universal.... :rolleyes:

Oh btw 410, I'm interested in the bridge...I need it for my island...

It seems that if some real research was done, someone could make an electric type supercharger work. But it seems these types of blowers listed on ebay won't do shytt. It would have to move a ton of air, like those commercial duty fans used for drying floors.

there are real proven electric supercharges on the market that do work, but IMO you are better off with real boost or nitrous....

I see. Real boost would be better but it would seem to me that electric would be cheaper, easier to install, and less heat. I guess. I dunno. I'm 17 remember

well you have a couple of valid points as far as heat and install, thats for sure, however where does the electricity come from to power this turbine? the alternator cant handle a huge drain, so additional batteries and a larger alternator, the pointbeing the batteries are adding weight to your performance vehicle.

Also nothing is cheaper $ for $ then nitrous when it comes to power gains.
However nitrous gets real expensive when the engine is abused

Turbo's provide 100% abosultely free power, they run off the exhaust, but plumbing them in and engine management can be tricky on engines that were not created for boost.
the same is true for a supercharger, though you lose a little power at first because of the belt drive.

If electric superchargers were practical I think you would see them available on new cars, nobody spends more $$$ on new technology and what works/what doesnt then the manufacturers themselves, especially these days when they are required to make 30 MPG and the consumer still wants 500 HP.....

F14CRAZY said:
It seems that if some real research was done, someone could make an electric type supercharger work.
Like I mentioned earlier in the post Thomas Knight does make an electric supercharger that works.

Thomas Knight ESC 400 Supercharger

15 seconds of boost, and then 20+ mins to recharge the 4 batteries (assuming a 200 Amp alternator). Better hope the guy you just beat doesn't want a rematch at the next light :p

Attachments

• productimage108-full.jpg
    productimage108-full.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 125

After looking at this thing some more I have a question. Isn't this an inline blower that is used to exhaust the gas fumes from a boat's engine compartment before start up?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not bilge :p I dunno I thought the "superchargers" on eBay were bilge pumps.

Back