what to use on leather? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

what to use on leather?

suprisingly, i didnt find an answer to this with a search... so what is good to use on our leather seats that "softens" them up a bit? i have been using Meguiar's Gold Class leather cleaner/conditioner since i bought my X, but i just dont like the stuff. i cant even tell that i put it on right after. i guess i want to know is there something that softens the leather a little?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ive always used this "eagle one" stuff and ive always been happy with it. its a bottle of cleaner and a separate bottle of conditioner, but i cant find it anymore, so i just got a bottle of something else, i think meguiars maybe - its an all-in-one-bottle. itll prolly suck.

From what I have found, pretty much nothing is good for our "perforated" leather seats. When my seats get all dirty and cruddy looking I spray some degreaser on, scrub them good, take a wet rag and wipe if off, and then I apply the 3M all purpose interior cleaner and protectant.

Bar none, the best thing to use on leather seats is Leatherique. www.leatherique.com Unfortunately, at $60, it's also rather expensive. I've had good results with Lexol, and many people like Zaino Leather In A Bottle, although I have not tried it.

Mike

I love Meguiars products but the leather cleaner is terrible, and smells bad also. I found the best cleaner for leather is from Coach, the upscale leather company. You can buy a small bottle of leather conditioner; that people would use for expensive belts, purses etc. The stuff works great! Any major city or upscale neighborhood will have a Coach.

I use Zaino products for the outside but for my leather Lexol is really the best I've ever tried. Best method is the not just spray and wipe like the bottle says but spary and massage in with you hands. This will really work it into the leather and soften it up as much as the X's leather will get.

armor all protection wipes did very well for me. they have them to protect leather now.

i have had very good success with lexol.

it isn't outrageously expensive either.

peter

I Lexol my Infiniti, i used to use the armor all stuff in the bottle (not the wipes) and i liked it too. but the leather in my Infiniti is different from the leather in the explorers

I use Lexol on all our family cars except mine. Because mine is the only car out of 4 cars that doesn't have leather. :mad: I mean...come on...an Eddie Bauer, standard leather but the first owner got cloth. WTF!! Sorry, gotta rant. Anyways...Lexol is an excellent product. Be sure to get the cleaner and the conditioner. I especially love the smell of the conditioner.

ok, looks like im gonna try the Lexol. now, were do i look for it? autozone? walmart? etc.

auto zone, pep boys any of those type of places... not sure if walmart would carry that or not. Probably a little high end for them.

Originally posted by '96explorereddiebauer
I use Lexol on all our family cars except mine. Because mine is the only car out of 4 cars that doesn't have leather. :mad: I mean...come on...an Eddie Bauer, standard leather but the first owner got cloth. WTF!! Sorry, gotta rant. Anyways...Lexol is an excellent product. Be sure to get the cleaner and the conditioner. I especially love the smell of the conditioner.

dont complain, youre lucky to not have leather. its such a pain in the ass. i like it, but i dont think id get it again if i could go back. id get cloth and some really nice seat covers.

i duno, i dont think its a pain in the @ss... i actually like it. all the complaints ive heard about leather ive never really even noticed. so you gotta treat it with something. every time you spill something on cloth, you gotta use resolve(or whathaveyou). definatly will go leather next time around.

I have to throw up a big vote for the lexol. They make a cleaner that works wonders in a bright orange bottle and a conditioner that is in a dark brown bottle. Best stuff I've ever used and it really smells like fresh leather.

yea, i almost forgot. heres an update. the lexol in the brown bottle is EXACTLY what i was looking for. softened the leather up nice, and it has that "new car with leather seats" smell. great stuff.

Glad to hear you like it!

Take a look at Zaino Z9 and Z10. They are great on leather.

Good luck......

Originally posted by james t
yea, i almost forgot. heres an update. the lexol in the brown bottle is EXACTLY what i was looking for. softened the leather up nice, and it has that "new car with leather seats" smell. great stuff.

question: whered you get the lexol?

and a question to everyone else who uses lexol: whered you get it?

heh. we only have pep boys around here, and ive been to 4 of them, and none of them have it - they dont have sh*t for leather products. i'll even order it off the web if someone can tell me where. ive been experimenting with other stuff for a few months now, and i hate all of them, and its starting to get cold, so i really wanna get a few treatments on there.

thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok I CANNOT find Lexol at my autozone. :(

Back