Windows down with the remote? (Global Open) | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Windows down with the remote? (Global Open)

So the wiring diagram is incorrect on the switch type?
switches.png

The drawing shows 2 DPDT on-on switches that operate off of one "lever" AKA ganged. The Auto down and UP, as well as the auto up and down, have arrows to indicate they are a DPDT which is operated by movement of the window switch. So in reality they are 4 SPST ganged?

(added technical explanations for the non-techies to be able to follow the discussion)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Drawing is still correct. They aren't ganged. They have arrows showing direction of latch. There are no dotted/dashed lines connecting switch latches on the drawing.

learn something new everyday! I have never seen any "proper" schematics or wiring diagrams use arrows for switch latch direction. Usually a switch is shown in the "normal or off" state, as in when first installed without ever being operated yet. Then one can assume, correctly, that when the switch is activated, the latch moves to one of the unused pole(s).

The arrows threw me for a loop. At first, I thought that they were indicating that they where being pulled to chassis ground in the normal position. That made no sense at all, as it would have made a direct short to ground when the electrically tied switch was hook to Vbatt+.

As for power to the Door Motors control boards;
If the control boards (and switches) are de-energized once the Delay Accessory times out and/or Door open, then Global windows would never work. Also, your Moonroof wouldn't open via Global, as pin 2 would be dead, disabling the moonroof.
So, the BCM must re-enable the Delay accessory line to energize the control board(s) when it receives the message from the TPMS(due to it being the one that has the antenna for remote start I believe, so assuming it is also the receiver for the RF remote fob for remote un/lock, lift gate, and panic)? The motor through the BCM is wired hot all the time.

OR
Are the motor's control board(s) energized from the motor main power on pin 1. I think that would be some noisy power for a control board, unless they spent money on adding filtering to the the boards main power input.

Just trying to get a better understanding, thanks for all of the info!

Control board is always powered by pin 1 (hot at all times) wire. The accessory delay input is just a trigger wire). If accessory delay wire is not active then it shuts down switch input logic. Only thing it is looking for at that time is input to pin 6.

But since the Explorer motors software doesn't seem to work with the Global Open signal, the motor may go to "sleep" all together.

learn something new everyday! I have never seen any "proper" schematics or wiring diagrams use arrows for switch latch direction. Usually a switch is shown in the "normal or off" state, as in when first installed without ever being operated yet. Then one can assume, correctly, that when the switch is activated, the latch moves to one of the unused pole(s).

The arrows threw me for a loop. At first, I thought that they were indicating that they where being pulled to chassis ground in the normal position. That made no sense at all, as it would have made a direct short to ground when the electrically tied switch was hook to Vbatt+.

As for power to the Door Motors control boards;
If the control boards (and switches) are de-energized once the Delay Accessory times out and/or Door open, then Global windows would never work. Also, your Moonroof wouldn't open via Global, as pin 2 would be dead, disabling the moonroof.
So, the BCM must re-enable the Delay accessory line to energize the control board(s) when it receives the message from the TPMS(due to it being the one that has the antenna for remote start I believe, so assuming it is also the receiver for the RF remote fob for remote un/lock, lift gate, and panic)? The motor through the BCM is wired hot all the time.

OR
Are the motor's control board(s) energized from the motor main power on pin 1. I think that would be some noisy power for a control board, unless they spent money on adding filtering to the the boards main power input.

Just trying to get a better understanding, thanks for all of the info!

I think I'm finding another electronics guru, someone who likes to work on interesting new projects.

Welcome CJS,

I was messing with the settings on my 2017 EXP LTD, and I saw a setting for Windows and it was set on auto open. So I went outside and locked the car and unlocked and kept the UNLOCK button pressed and the front and passenger windows went down after a while. So they maybe putting that option in the Explorers now.

I was messing with the settings on my 2017 EXP LTD, and I saw a setting for Windows and it was set on auto open. So I went outside and locked the car and unlocked and kept the UNLOCK button pressed and the front and passenger windows went down after a while. So they maybe putting that option in the Explorers now.
New for 2017. Global Opening (if equipped).

I have yet to use the feature but it seems like a nice one to have. My Explorer is always garaged at home and work. Hardly sees any sun other than when I am driving to work and back.

I've always wanted this feature and it's nice to finally have. Just tried it on my 2017 and it worked great except the sunroof didn't open. Despite what it says in the manual, the sunroof is supposed to open it as well as the windows. So not sure what that is about.

My moonroof also does not open with Global Open feature. There does not seem to be any way to enable it either.

Peter

I've had my 2018 Explorer about 3 weeks, and twice now, my wife has walked out to find the car locked, but the front windows rolled down. I'm guessing that between us, we managed to trigger the Global Opening accidentally, but that is concerning to me that this will continue. The first time, my wife actually found a bird in the car as a result.

Wondering if there is a way to turn off this one feature.

I've had my 2018 Explorer about 3 weeks, and twice now, my wife has walked out to find the car locked, but the front windows rolled down. I'm guessing that between us, we managed to trigger the Global Opening accidentally, but that is concerning to me that this will continue. The first time, my wife actually found a bird in the car as a result.

Wondering if there is a way to turn off this one feature.
Welcome to the Forum Mitch.:wave:
You are the first to post about this. If the windows are really down because of the feature being activated, then that indicates that your remote is being triggered somehow which in itself is a problem. Also the feature should only be operative for a short time after the vehicle is 'unlocked'. If it sits unlocked for a while, the feature doesn't work. Therefore, if you usually lock your doors, then the remote is unlocking them and to open the windows the unlock button has to be released and then pressed again for about 3 seconds. It may be a better idea to store the remote in a different place if that is the case. Next time you may find your liftgate open. The aforementioned all hinges on the feature being triggered by the remote. It could be that you actually have a separate issue. BTW, the feature can not be disabled through any settings.

Peter

Isn't there a setting in the cluster for it? There is on other models

Isn't there a setting in the cluster for it? There is on other models
Didn't see anything in the left Information Display. Didn't go into the main Sync 3 display.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum Mitch.:wave:
You are the first to post about this. If the windows are really down because of the feature being activated, then that indicates that your remote is being triggered somehow which in itself is a problem. Also the feature should only be operative for a short time after the vehicle is 'unlocked'. If it sits unlocked for a while, the feature doesn't work. Therefore, if you usually lock your doors, then the remote is unlocking them and to open the windows the unlock button has to be released and then pressed again for about 3 seconds. It may be a better idea to store the remote in a different place if that is the case. Next time you may find your liftgate open. The aforementioned all hinges on the feature being triggered by the remote. It could be that you actually have a separate issue. BTW, the feature can not be disabled through any settings.

Peter
I am not so sure it is being triggered from the remote. I wasn't aware of Global Open when it happened the first time, and went online and found it. However, each time my wife came out and found the windows rolled down, the doors were still locked. When I use the Fob to open the windows, I can't do it without unlocking the car. So now I am questioning what is telling the car to roll them down. At least each time it's happened, it was at home and not raining, though I'd rather keep the birds out too.

I thought it odd that I, or my wife would trigger Global Open, and not have had any instances of unlocking the car accidentally, since it is through the same button and would be far easier to do. And as you mention the liftgate, I did have one instance where I was learning how to remote start, and when I walked outside, the liftgate was up. figured that was just from hitting the wrong button.

I would tend to agree about the remote triggering it since there are too many sequences involved to accidently do it. According to your Manual, you can also open the moonroof the same way as the windows but to my knowledge no one here has been able to get that to work on the 2017's, including me. How often has this happened? If it is very random it could be difficult for the dealer to diagnose it, but that may be one way to go first. Disconnecting the negative battery cable for 5 minutes or so before reconnecting will set everything back to factory default and means you will loose any saved memory settings. It also doesn't guaranty to fix the issue.

Peter

I would tend to agree about the remote triggering it since there are too many sequences involved to accidently do it. According to your Manual, you can also open the moonroof the same way as the windows but to my knowledge no one here has been able to get that to work on the 2017's, including me. How often has this happened? If it is very random it could be difficult for the dealer to diagnose it, but that may be one way to go first. Disconnecting the negative battery cable for 5 minutes or so before reconnecting will set everything back to factory default and means you will loose any saved memory settings. It also doesn't guaranty to fix the issue.

Peter
It has happened 2 times, and about a week or so apart. Apparently both occasions, in the afternoon, somewhere between me leaving for work in my own car, and my wife leaving for an errand in the explorer. What made the first occasion more troubling is that we had taken it in to the dealership so they could tint the windows, and they put green stickers over the window controls to remind us not to use them for 3-5 days, and the first event was on day 3. We never touched the car controls for the window.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Didn't see anything in the left Information Display. Didn't go into the main Sync 3 display.

Peter

While I realize the owner's manual sometimes has mistakes, it states the setting for global open is in the cluster....vehicle settings-->windows-->remote open (then you select on or off)

Back