• Register Today It's free!

Won't shift. Please help!

adkinstintshack

Reaction score
City, State
Pilot Mountain North Carolina!
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Eddie Bauer 4x4
Hello everyone. I am extremely new here (approx 1 hour) but the reason i joined is due to a problem i had tonight with my explorer. I have been to this site many many times before seeking information and i have found what i am looking for every time, until now. :(

Here's the problem...

1995 Eddie Bauer OHV 4.0 4x4

Been running perfect (except for what I consider a low wide open throttle shift point... shifts a little sooner than i think it should) But anyway

NOW will not upshift on its own unless i let totally off the gas pedal at 25mph or so, and then it will bang into second, and second then pulls fine after that.

Once it is in second gear, pulling and driving like normal, it will not go into third gear, unless i do the same thing, let off the fun pedal, and let it slap into drive (third?)

same scenario with o/d. Once i let off, it'll go right in, bang a little, and then turn 1500 rpms at 55mph...

I have found several options of what this could be, but i dont know if all transmissions are the same or if mine even has a modulator...

Please help, any advice or direction is appreciated more than i could ever tell ya'll.

Thanks in advance!

Mike Adkins

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First check fluid level.

needs to be warm to check correctly... is that right? I am a dj, and i am still working, it happened on my way to work tonight, i was wishful thinking that it might be electrical, so all i had time to do was unhook neg batt cable... From what i can read, that was probably useless... haha.

Thank you so much for your quick response, and I will check the fluid level at 3am or so when i get off.

Thanks again,
Mike Adkins

ok guys... Here's where i stand as of 4am on saturday... The fluid level is a very very slight bit above full when hot... The color, albeit, is pretty funky. The fluid does not stink real bad or anything like clutch material or burnt metal, but it is definately NOT nice and red and shiney!

I decided to take it up the road to see if it was any better or worse (had neg batt cable unhooked for 4 hours while at work) and still the same problem as the original thread entry, ONLY WITH THE ADDITION of a blinking o/d light...

approx 6 months ago, when i first bought this explorer, the o/d light was blinking, and i read on this forum to unhook battery and yada yada yada... That cured that problem, and it has not returned until now, and I have put nearly 8000 miles on it since the original blinking.

Ok, sorry that was so long winded, just wanted to be sure to let you all know all the details... My baby is parked inside my tint shop until i figure out whats happening, so please wish me luck, and if you have any ideas or anything helpful, please let me know as soon as you can...

thank you all so much,
Mike Adkins

Funky fluid!

Hi and welcome, The fluid level may be right- but if its funky looking- I would be inclined with your problems to change the fluid, a full change is better not just drain the pan........Posts in this forum on that.
once the pans off you can access the filter- you may as well do the works this once- as dirty old spent fluid and a dead filter will probably be the cause of these issues.
Also check whilst yor under her that your linkage is lubricated and moves freely.

I would forget about the early downshift issue till you have done the above and driven her, if the shift is stil early check the overdrive is working......drive the car steady at around 3k revs and take od in and out waiting a few secs for the rev change. Let us know how you get on- PS- Do a proper full flush-fluid change or you can expect problems to continue if the fluid is the cause.

thank you so much, i am going to do a filter and service monday, and i will let you know what happens.

If anyone else has any thoughts please reply.

thanks again,
Mike (broke down EB) Adkins

Ok guys and gals. Here is the verdict!

First of all, the explorer is alive and breathing! Thank you santa claus!

It ended up needing a basic rebuild. According to what i was able to put my hands on, 2 servos were bad, the intermidiate band was broken, and the clutches for second gear were cooked!

After all that, and some fomoco trans juice, she is shifting and pulling like a dream!

Thank you all for your help and concern, I really appreciate all of your thoughts.

Thanks again,
Mike
ADKINSTINTSHACK

how much did that end up running you I'm starting to get the same problem but its only going from 1-2 when its cold. after it warms up 1-2 is fine. I'm planning on a flush and filter change to help.

...95gsx...Your tranny is different...If you have the auto tranny, you have an A4ld tranny and we have a great tranny section here with write ups just for your tranny..;)

...You might want to add your vehicle and location next to your handle/name, like where mine is under tbars4...This will help people answer your questions and they may also be able to assist you locally as in parts and such...:biggthump

thank you very much tbars. Mine is the 5r55e, and from my understanding our transmissions are indeed different. To answer your question however, my total bill was $675. Which I was happy to pay to get my baby back! haha. A friend of mine went to work with his dad at the family's transmission shop, so i think that is partly why it was so cheap. He said for the work that he did and the parts he replaced it shoulda been roughly $1200.

Thanks again tbars, and thank you for your comment/question 95gsx

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

...Congrats on getting it fixed...:biggthump

...I swore when I replied you had a 94 x listed...:confused:

...95gsx...Your tranny is different...If you have the auto tranny, you have an A4ld tranny

Tbars...aren't both 95gsx and the OP '95 autos with a 4R55E? I know the auto in my '95 is.

Tbars...aren't both 95gsx and the OP '95 autos with a 4R55E? I know the auto in my '95 is.

...Again, when I replied to the first post it said a '94 X, I swear..:D

...Trannys are my weak point but I give it a stab..

...I believe the 4r55e were used in the 95-96 X and were replaced with the 5r55e in 97..I know some of the rangers had the 4r44e in the 95-96 years...

95gsx's info says that he has a "92 EX...then it's an A4LD.

JFlash

...Aww, now I see where I got confused...:confused:

...Since we had 2 different people asking questions in the same thread I will try and clear this up now...:hammer:

..91-94 X = A4ld

...95-96 X = 4r55e

Back