VIAIR Installation

Paul

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Grit City, Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 “Sport”
VIAIR Installation or "How I Spent My President's Day Weekend"...

I've always wanted to set up a air compressor and tank in my Sport. The Power Tank or Source products had merit, but figured that they would require an interior installation solution. What I really wanted was a compressor and tank set-up that I could fit into the space where my OEM spare used to reside (I have a bumper mounted spare).

So I checked out the VIAIR kit that comes "complete", with tank, compressor, pressure switch, line, dash gauge, etc. Of course, no kit is ever "complete", but for me it was pretty close.

First thing was to build a bracket to hold the tank. I removed the old spare tire pulley and cable, then fabbed two pieces of angled steel to bolt the tank legs to. The steel is bolted to the spare tire support member and also screwed to the sides of the underbody.

Attachments

• Tank Mount.JPG
    Tank Mount.JPG
    137.1 KB · Views: 1,834
  • Tank Bracket.JPG
    Tank Bracket.JPG
    144 KB · Views: 1,822

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

VIAIR Installation Part Two

One of the items not included in the "complete" kit included a remote line to move the pressure switch from an attachment point on the tank to a more suitable location. For a few dollars, I was able to purchase a hose with fittings to move the pressure switch up to the bracket.

Next was the compressor itself: Didn't want it in the engine compartment (too crowded), didn't want it in the cargo area (too noisy), so developed a plan to mount it near the tank. Using a ammo can, I was able to mount the compressor in the can, so that it was out of the elements, and I can open the latch when I run the compressor in order to keep it cool.

Attachments

• Pressure Switch.JPG
    Pressure Switch.JPG
    136.2 KB · Views: 1,897
  • Compressor.JPG
    Compressor.JPG
    148 KB · Views: 2,007
  • Tank and Ammo Can.JPG
    Tank and Ammo Can.JPG
    141.6 KB · Views: 10,473

VIAIR Installation Part Three

Decided the requirement to climb under the rig and attach an air line to the quick-fit coupling every time I need refill tires was going to be a pain in the butt. So, bought a second remote air line and fabbed a bracket to mount the quick-fit coupling to a location that wouldn't require crawling under the rig. . .

Overall, very pleased with the results. Easy enough for someone with only moderate skills to do in a day or two.

Paul
'91 Sport

Attachments

• Air Connection.JPG
    Air Connection.JPG
    146.2 KB · Views: 1,802

very very nice!

Great idea with the ammo can, but I worry about heat! My ARB compressor gets HOT HOT HOT, I mounted it on the firewall where it can benefit from some incoming air (through the grill) and some breeze form the engine driven fan

Just keep an eye on the heat! Those compressors are capable or taking the elements quite well

Very nice setup! Any plans to add another chuck on the front bumper?
I have my current air line under the hood, it works great, but getting to that 4th tire, it would sure be nice to have another chuck at the rear of the truck :)

Thanks for the comments. I've also got the ARB compressor for my lockers, (the older under-powered version that was not equal to the task of refilling larger tires,) so I share the concerns of overheating... I drilled a few ventilation holes on the highest portion of the ammo can (which is the bottom), and won't operate the system without unlatching the ammo can lid. The unit has a thermal shut-off switch if it gets overheated, so it'll be trial and error to see if the ammo can creates too much heat build-up... If it does, I may have to mount the compressor in the cargo area...

As to a putting an air chuck on the front of the vehicle, probably not. I'm replacing the flimsy coil hose with a longer heavy duty air line, or might fab a 4-way system that lets me air up all four tires at once. :thumbsup:

Paul
'91 Sport

hell yeah all 4 t once that would kick so much A&$!!!

I use my ARB compressor to re-fill my 35's only if I have all day!
I have done it once or twice, its not horrible, but usually I just go up a few pounds so I can get on the highway to the next gas station LOL

it will be nice to have real on board air someday!

Keep us posted on updates, I love this setup... my wife wants a big ol electric compressor on her FJ with a tank and there is PLENTY of room under that truck to do so!

nice job!
i have a harbor freight 12v compressor, ammo cans, and plenty of hoses/fittings....now to just find time.
well i will just add it to the "list"

I've been debating this type of install for years.. We have a MasterFlow 1050 compressor..

51RRHMZBY8L._SS500_.jpg

Its 2.64cfm @ 0psi... and 1.2cfm at I can't remember (I think 40psi).. I haven't been able to find the old thread..

I was going to put it under the hood but AZ is really dusty and we don't run inner fenderwells.

I was thinking of installing it under the truck in some kind of box but I was worried about heat. I thought about running a fan/duct to blow air over the unit but again I'm worried about the elements..

The installation in a box with a flip open lid (bottom) "might" work.. What worried me is AZ summer heat.. Some days when I come out to the truck the transmission fluid pan temp is 120F and I haven't even started the truck yet.

EDIT: I modified our MF-1050 (same as the MV-50) so it uses a regular hose and regular quick connects instead of the odd-backwards things it came with

~Mark

my ARB mini compressor has been in mud, snow, dust, snow, dirt, snow, water, under my hood with no fender skirts for like 8 years, never missed a beat... I think many electric compressors are tougher then you give credit for

nice job!
i have a harbor freight 12v compressor, ammo cans, and plenty of hoses/fittings....now to just find time.
well i will just add it to the "list"

We also have the Harbor Freight model.. They are close the the same (same design) as the masterflow mf-1050 as the piston/ring/reed valve and even motor look the same between the two models.. The harborfreight one seems to draw more power on startup.. If you try to start it when its on a tire that already has 60psi it will usually pop the 30 amp fuse at startup (I tried to use it on our Ford c-600 flatbed big truck)..

~Mark

Double barrel ********

Manic, that little redhead will take all day.

This platinum baby really blows! 'Q-89 Dually' by Q Industries

I thought I read some where it was made by the same company that makes the Viair compressors.

It has a 45 minute duty cycle and will inflate my 33's from 16lb to 32lb in less than 2 minutes per tire. Rated at 3.15 CFM

I think I paid about $170 but I just found one for $122 at Auto parts warehouse dot com:rolleyes:

BTW, nice job Paul!:thumbsup:

Attachments

• New compressor.jpg
    New compressor.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 1,764

I thought I read some where it was made by the same company that makes the Viair compressors.

It has a 45 minute duty cycle and will inflate my 33's from 16lb to 32lb in less than 2 minutes per tire. Rated at 3.15 CFM

I think I paid about $170 but I just found one for $122 at Auto parts warehouse dot com:rolleyes:

Yup, same company.. It takes me about 4 minutes (high 3's to low 4's) to go from low teens to low 30's with that one which is plenty fast.. I've seen a couple comparison tests between the single and dual head and the dual head wasn't twice as fast as the single but two singles were twice as fast as one single head unit.

I'd love to wire two of them in parallel to get more cfm AND redundancy especially since I paid $39 for the first one and the 2nd one may cost $60ish.. I'd still be out ahead and amperage is cheap..

Congrats on the finished project. I didn't finish adding my air lines or tanks, I only did the compressor and wiring. My work truck may be replaced soon, so I may swap this to my Mountaineer, my keeper.

The compressor is a Puma, 3 cfm @90psi, 30 amps, constant duty. It was about $180 four years ago.

Attachments

• Projectthread052.JPG
    Projectthread052.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 1,725
  • Projectthread050.JPG
    Projectthread050.JPG
    89.2 KB · Views: 2,024
  • Projectthread059.JPG
    Projectthread059.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 1,746

Puma is a nice compressor, was out of my price range at the time...

No issues with it being mounted behind the tire like that, even in the rain etc? Did you ever turn it on when it was wet/dirty from the road?

~Mark

I haven't put power to it yet, I lack just the main mechanical relay to be able to turn it on. That relay is slick, in that it is triggered with a ground, plus it has a manual shut off lever.

I have had it on for two years now, just with a heavy plastic bag on it. I have it placed so that a cover plate can be made to protect it from the front and bottom. It may or may not need more ventilation than from gaps around the frame. It would come in handy, I need to adjust pressures occasionally, and at work carriers often have flat tires.

VIAIR Dash Gauge

Thanks for the positive comments. I'll follow up after this weekend if the ammo can works out . . .

Forgot to add the photo of the installed dash gauge (to the right of the CB); its also the location of the "On-Off" switch.

Paul
'91 Sport

Attachments

• DSC01591.JPG
    DSC01591.JPG
    141.2 KB · Views: 1,964

Hello Ford Explorer Forum,

This is my first post on this forum. I want to clarify a common myth about Q Industries compressors that i've seen on more than one forum. **VIAIR does not make Q Industry pumps.** We are an OEM supplier for several companies within the U.S. however Q Industries is not one of them. VIAIR products are often used as a comparison benchmark for many other compressor companies. These companies employ this marketing strategy to draw attention to their products by referencing our brand and reputation.

If you have any questions about VIAIR products please visit our website at www.viaircorp.com or feel free to shoot me an e-mail at ryans@viaircorp.com

Though we do not sell direct to the public, I can still offer you tech support, assist in choosing a suitable compressor for your vehicle/application or give advice on installing your own On Board Air System.

I look forward to helping you.

Warm Regards,
Ryan Shaw
949 585 0011

...You should become one of our vendors here...

...We do group buys and discounts thru our other vendors and I as well as others are looking for on board air...:popcorn:

Back