rookieshooter

Moderator Emeritus
Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
City, State
Martinsburg WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
84 BII "Li'l Samson"
Getting ready to upgrade all steering components. Would like to hear your opinons on what brand tie rod ends and the one thats in the drag link that you use. This will be going on my B2 street/trail truck. Do you favor one brand over another, or are they all the same? There is an Auto zone, Advanced auto and Nappa near me, if that makes any difference. Thanks

One other thing. My B2 has a first generation X Dana 35 if that helps

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would stay away from NAPAs tie rod ends. The "dust cover" that holds in the grease is put on before installation and they dont hold grease well. I have NAPA lower BJs and grease comes flying out of them. I have replacement MOOGs ready to go in, they are VERY nice quality. Napa is ok, but not for a trail rig

-Drew

ExplorerDMB said:
I would stay away from NAPAs tie rod ends. The "dust cover" that holds in the grease is put on before installation and they dont hold grease well. I have NAPA lower BJs and grease comes flying out of them. I have replacement MOOGs ready to go in, they are VERY nice quality. Napa is ok, but not for a trail rig

-Drew

Thanks, went to Advanced auto and asked about Moog, "nope don't carryum, but if you try the speed shop next door, they do". With that said I went next door and orderd me the left side. I'll get more steering parts later. I asked him about the quality of Moog parts, and he said in 30 years he has seen only 2 or 3 ever come back. Now I've allways heard of Moog but I really never remember asking by name.

That's why the guy at the speed shop looked at me funny when I told them that Advanced said they did not carry Moog. ThatAdvanced store has been only opened about 2 weeks. Going to check out their webb site print it out, and then go back and say Hey Dude.

I only ordered the left side which the guy said is cheaper then the right. I'll stay with Moog, but will check around for a cheaper price. But It's Fri. and they did say it will be here by 8:00 am Sat. Not bad service. I'll also see about warranty. Might just stay with the speed shop.

I have'nt seen an Orielly around yet. But this place is growing like crazy, Auto parts stores going up everywhere.

It must be the driver side inner, hes said the pass. side is longer. I told him to get any one of them because I'm going to get all knew ones anyway. He did not have a diagram of the lingage system. So I'm going do piece by piece from pitman arm to ends.

Sorry, I've been giving you information on the 2nd gens.... i just read back and saw that this was for the BII... oooops...

Yeah, as far as the tie rod ends go for a BII, I'm not sure. I had a 1st gen but it was a long time ago and I don't really remember.

Sorry about that. Anyone else wanna save my a$$?

CougarX said:
Sorry, I've been giving you information on the 2nd gens.... i just read back and saw that this was for the BII... oooops...

Yeah, as far as the tie rod ends go for a BII, I'm not sure. I had a 1st gen but it was a long time ago and I don't really remember.

Sorry about that. Anyone else wanna save my a$$?

You mean I've ordered for a 2nd generation X. Just kidding, yea it's a Bronk2 but with a Ist generation X axels front and rear. What difference does it make, so long as its Moog. The quality still the same 1st or 2nd generation.

IMG_1081.jpg

Here is the 94 X D35 in the 84 B2. That linkage that goes to the driver side is the one I ordered. The pass. side is longer and cost about twice as much. I'll get that later.

Another question. I got the Moog inner rod. It is the one on the right hand side in the pic. It has a rod end on the left side that connects to the longer pass. side rod.and then screws into that adjuster. After getting all new Moog steering linkage and rod ends. I'm going to have a substantial amount of $$ in it. The question is, should I push out grease thats in there and then pump in syntec grease now. There will be some stream crossings planed.

I work at a large independent repair shop and the Spicer/Dana/NAPA steering and suspension parts are hands down my first choice. We've tried every brand out there and the Spicer stuff is simply stonger and lasts longer.

If you buy it at NAPA, make sure it has a blue dust boot as that indicates it is a Spicer part. NAPA carries two lines. A standard (MRC) line and a premium (NCP) line.

Back