MaDMiKe783's AWD 5.0 to 4WD TC Swap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

MaDMiKe783's AWD 5.0 to 4WD TC Swap

Mtn8er

Reaction score
City, State
Portland, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
98' Mountaineer 5.0
Mtn8er's AWD 5.0 to 4WD TC Swap

Well after reading all the threads on the AWD to 4x4 BW4406 transfer case swaps, I decided that this would be an excellent way for me to not only save in gas mileage but to enjoy the extra power. There is no need for constant AWD where I live. Here in Portland we maybe get a couple of days to a week of snow in a year, if that. When we do, that's when the 4 wheel drive will come in handy, otherwise we get ALOT of rain...2 wheel drive makes more sense period.

Anyways, I'm slowly buying my parts for the swap and I just picked up my manual BW4406 TC today. It came out of a 99' Ford F-150 and only has 17K on it, part number: manual shift, ID XL34-7A195-AC. It needs some cleaning otherwise everything looks pretty good. Here are some pictures:

144.jpg

324.jpg

232.jpg

Next, I need to get my front/rear drive shafts. After reading all the threads on this I've read a few different things and I'm still a little confused. As I understand I need a front drive shaft from a 97-01 F-150 4X4 from a 5.4L, AT, 4R70W (AODE-W). Is this right and will this fit perfectly and bolt right up? For the rear drive shaft I understand that I need to get it from a 97-01 Expedition 4x4. I assume this will fit perfectly and bolt right up as well but does it matter which engine size and suspension setup? There's one with the 4x4 4.6L auto susp, one with 4x4 4.6L std susp, one with 4x4 5.4L auto susp and one with 4x4 5.4L std susp. Which one do I need or does it matter?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Items needed:

• 1997-200? Expedition/Navigator 4x4 rear driveshaft. Suspension set up makes no difference that I can tell. Must be from a 5.4 V8 equipped vehicle
  • 1997-200? F150/Expedition/Navigator front driveshaft (obviously from a 4x4) Must be from a 5.4 V8 equipped vehicle
  • Conversion U Joint Autozone P/N: 185793, PDQ/Brute Force #1-0134.

The difference in the front Driveshafts:

driveshafts.jpg

Another member got a rear driveshaft from an air ride equipped vehicle and it had a double cardian joint. This could be an issue, so when you find a rear driveshaft, make sure you ask for one with a single U joint on both ends.

Another member got a rear driveshaft from an air ride equipped vehicle and it had a double cardian joint. This could be an issue, so when you find a rear driveshaft, make sure you ask for one with a single U joint on both ends.

Oh ok, so the front does have to be from a 97-01 5.4L 4x4 F150/Expedition/Navigator and not 4.6L and the rear is a 97-01 5.4L 4x4 Expedition/Navigator. If a air ride equipped vehicle has a double cardian joint then I'm assuming I want the rear from one with standard suspension.

Back