Cold air intake | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cold air intake

misho

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Hi guys, im looking into getting cold air intake.
What is better, MAC intake or K&N?

I have the 99 OHV V6 4.0L

Also, what are some of the problems that can happen once the stock intake is replaced?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I dont have any personal experience with 4.0l air intake but have read on here that power gains are minimal. Im also not a fan of any oil treated air filter elements like K&N because of the possibility or probability of gumming up sensors down stream of your air box. Ive had good success with dry flow filters like AEM

I have a KKM on my 94 along with a turbo muffler and that combo made a huge difference in the way it ran,the 2000 5.0 already runs so good I'm not going to fool with it right now.

So there is my experience,I feel the intake will not do much with a stock,restrictive muffler.:D

Hey guys

Yea i know its not going to make a huge difference in power, and that isn't my main concern. I just need to change the stock filter, but I though hmm why not change the intake..

Will it sound better?

Also, the MAC intakes, are their filters treated with oil?

Either way, it shouldn't hurt to put intake, except my wallet lol.
I'm afraid of bad idling etc issues.
and my explorer is 5spd manual if that makes a difference

See if you can get dyno sheets from the manufacturers. That should be a start. With any intake, you can always replace the oiled filter with an AEM Dry Flow Filter.

Will it sound better?

Opinions Vary.

My dad thinks the K&N sounds good. I just turn the music up and don't care.

Either way, it shouldn't hurt to put intake, except my wallet lol.

With late model vehicles, you may need a custom or dyno tune in order to run the cold air intake. I have heard of cars where the additional cold air causes a lean condition and you can get a "Check Engine Light". It probably won't happen to you though, because you have an older vehicle. It didn't happen on my Explorer.

Opinions Vary.

With late model vehicles, you may need a custom or dyno tune in order to run the cold air intake. I have heard of cars where the additional cold air causes a lean condition and you can get a "Check Engine Light". It probably won't happen to you though, because you have an older vehicle. It didn't happen on my Explorer.

Ahh lean condition no good. That reminds me, i gotta go check out why i have the Check Engine light on. Randomly came on when i was driving on the highway. Like 2 months ago.
Any ideas how much a code reader costs? so I can check it out myself.
Thanks

Opinions Vary.

A dyno won't help if the 'intake' (come on guys, an intake is a manifold, not a filter and tube) is causing a lean condition because the only thing that could cause that is the ****ty oil getting on the maf. Modern cars have sensors to measure the amount and temp of incoming air, so its not like the car doesn't see whatever (if any) extra air the intakr brings in.

What part of the country are you in? Maybe one of the forum members here can meet up with you and read the code for you.

The least expensive I've seen is:
511wAoE-OzL._SS500_.jpg
Autel MaxiScan MS300 CAN OBD-II Scan Tool
Price: $23.34 & eligible for free shipping with Amazon Prime

I am using:
41462W53DBL._SS400_.jpg
ElmScan 5 Compact USB Scan Tool (423001)
Price: $38.95 & eligible for free shipping with Amazon Prime

Hmm that one you are using looks good. provides more info.

I am a little confused though. When you TUNE cars, you make modifications to the ECU. But do you still use this code reader/scan tool? or you get a more expensive thing where you can modify the timing of spark etc on the car??
So I am guessing the OBD(onboard diagnostics that is) is just a simple way to PROVIDE info about the car's status but not modify.?

Thanks
and sry for dumbness lol

You don't need to tune after adding a CAI. You don't even need to tune after intake and exhaust. Will it help get the most out of your modifications, yes, but it isn't needed. The computer adjusts for the change as it is minimal. If it is throwing a lean code that is because the added flow has only made a leak that was there worse. Check the gaskets and make sure the fittings on the intake are seated all the way.

Have a place like AutoZone or Advance Auto check your codes for free. And as for oil, if you do it right you don't get any contaminating the system.

Your modern vehicle is computerized. Your computer operates off of a "tune". What you have is the stock "tune" from the factory. Factory tuning is very conservative. Not to worry. There are people who specialize in writing new "tunes" for your vehicle. They will adjust various operating parameters in order to get more power and firmer shifting. Some people will actually place their vehicle on a dynamometer in order to dial in these adjustments with greater precision.

Whether you get a custom tune or a dyno tune, your tune will be uploaded to your vehicle through the OBD II port. Imagine that your On Board Diagnostics port is like the USB on your computer. You can upload to, and download from, your car's Powertrain Control Module. This is usually done by way of a handheld device like a Diablo Predator, SCT X3, or Edge Evolution. These handheld devices can also read Diagnostic Trouble Codes and monitor operating parameters for Data Logging.

Ultimately, you will have to decide what you want to do with your car. The more you spend, the more you will be able to do with the device. A simple OBD II code reader will allow you to read stored DTC's, erase codes, and turn off your "Check Engine Light". A popular option has also been the ScanGauge II, which reads & clears codes, monitors operating parameters, and delivers real time mileage and power results on your dashboard.

[URL="http://www.scangauge.com/products/"]
[/URL]

Oh ok, i get it.

So lets say I want to read codes, monitor things like RPM, A/F mixture, oil temps, pressure, look at timings(change them too) etc, on one of these monitors like above, then which one should I get? Give me an example.

Thanks for the info BTW!!

edit: for example i've seen the dyno videos right. The guy writes something into his laptop, then tests the car on the dyno. What is that program that runs on the laptop that i guess monitors/makes changes to the car's ECU.???
Thanks

So lets say I want to read codes, monitor things like RPM, A/F mixture, oil temps, pressure, look at timings(change them too) etc, on one of these monitors like above, then which one should I get? Give me an example.

edit: for example i've seen the dyno videos right. The guy writes something into his laptop, then tests the car on the dyno. What is that program that runs on the laptop that i guess monitors/makes changes to the car's ECU.???

Misho,

Do you live in the US? Do you have access to a shop with a dynamometer? The software is pretty cheap. But do you think you have the knowledge to start playing around with your Powertrain Control Module? It's a PCM, by the way. Honda guys have ECU's.

I would suggest leaving tuning to the pros.

We are now officially way off the page and no longer talking about "Cold Air Intake". Which, by the way, is not a stock item. This post should have started off in the "modified" section.

Misho,

Do you live in the US? Do you have access to a shop with a dynamometer? The software is pretty cheap. But do you think you have the knowledge to start playing around with your Powertrain Control Module? It's a PCM, by the way. Honda guys have ECU's.

I would suggest leaving tuning to the pros.

No I live in Toronto, Canada, got no access to a shop. and No I dont have the knowledge to start playing around with the PCM. I guess im just simply learning stuff.
Why I was asking about the stuff is because it could be fun just monitoring things while driving, see whats going on with the car etc.

Now as for the computer software, its basically like instead of having a handheld touchscreen like the sct livewire thing, but on a laptop, correct?

We are now officially way off the page and no longer talking about "Cold Air Intake". Which, by the way, is not a stock item. This post should have started off in the "modified" section.

:D lol

Toronto is a big city. No speed shop in the area? I'm shocked. Find yourself a decent speed shop and you'll learn real fast from them trying to sell you things.

The software is a lot more advanced than the touchscreen hand-held units. The hand-held units allow you to upload pre-written tunes. The software allows you to actually write the tune.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

OK so the software will still allow you to monitor things right? just like a normal handheld monitor

Back