Help/removing rear struts- | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help/removing rear struts-

Captj122

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
02XLT
I'm new here and posted a question--maybe in the wrong place.--Anyhow, have a 02 X 4x4--found broken spring when doing a brake job--75k miles--Removed the 3 13mm bolts on the top of the tower--removed the 21mm at the bottom of the strut--tried to remove the thing and it will not move.--I am missing something in this? Do I need to do something else. Have it up in the air. I could use some help please. Ended up going with KYB GR-2 and Moog spring.
Thanks, Jim

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here it is from the ford service manual, are you using a spring compressor?

12.jpg

34.jpg

678.jpg

91011.jpg

rear struts

Thank you very much for the answer--looks like I still have to remove the bottom nut, etc. on knuckle to bottom A frame, and the stab. nut--hopefully that will give me what I need.
Thanks alot. Might have another question for you. Hopefully you do not mind.
Thanks Jim

Maybe this is dumb question but you do have the weight off of it? I have not messed with the back but the front ones come off pretty easy.

She's up in the air. From the prior post--I have to drop the lowere A frame to get the thing out.--Looks like the strut is still under a little pressure until the A frame is lowered. I put a jack under just in case--Removing the nut on the Stab. may let the lower arm drop further for better access.--Once i do that I hope I can get that lower strut mount loose.
Thanks Jim

You don't need the spring compressor unless you're putting a "NEW" spring on the "OLD" strut assembly. I found those instructions a little confusing when I looked them up in the book. Another good thing I found was if you remove the "REAR CALIPER", it allows much more room for the strut assembly to be removed. Just push down on lower control arm and the top of the strut assembly will pivot out, and then just lift it out. Install new strut assembly in reverse. 2nd assembly will go on easier when you figure out the 1st. Not too bad though. The worst part was getting those nuts off the top of the strut assembly because they have "lock tite" on them and you can only move them 1/4 to 1/2 turn at a time.

Back