04 Explorer Front Struts PLEASE HELP ASAP.....I'm stuck!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

04 Explorer Front Struts PLEASE HELP ASAP.....I'm stuck!!

johng_22

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer Eddie Bauer
Just removed the front stuts on my 04 Explorer Eddie Bauer with absolutely no problems. I was able to remove by unbolting the top 3 13mm bolts and the bottom main strut bolt. Exchange the strut spring to new strut and for the life of me I can't get the strut to go back up in to remount. What am I missing???? I've been working on this one for hours and just can't seem to figure it out.

PLEASE Help!!

John

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hmmm Pictures may help us help you..

But do you have the old strut to compare the mounting bolts?

When you say you cannot get the strut back up into the strut tower... do the bolts line up? Or is the strut different and just wont fit?

Okay...

Okay here's the answer to any problems you may be having.

1. Did you disconnect the front sway bar from the control arms? You can get the old ones out without disconnecting those, but it'll stop you from putting the new ones in. Tricky, i know.

2. Is the bushing aligned with the two bolts at the top that are closest together?

Im going to try to explain this the best i can...

On the top, there are 3 bolts, two are close together and 1 is out on its own, then at the complete opposite end you have the other side of the shock you have the other connector (shaped like a tube where it connects to the control arm) you need to rotate this peace so that the whole is aligned with the two bolts that are close together. Basically so if you lay it down, the gap between the two bolts at the top and the hole at the bottom should both be facing up and aligned. If their not, ur going to have to re-compress the spring, loosed the top bolt and rotate the assembly to align these components. Be careful when your rotate these things that the seats the springs are sitting on are still in there proper position.

After youve done ALL THAT! and you still cant get it in,

3. If the problem is the control arm is too high to slip the shock back into its whole on the arm, then have a buddy come and stick a pry bar between the control arm and anything else on the car, (the best spot it up top using the spring housing as ur prying location) and pushing down so you can slip it in and get the bolt though before he releases.

Good Luck! If you have any more questions post here and ill check back.

-Blake F

Question for Blake

Blake,

Will the prying techinque also address this problem...the top is attached (the entire strut assembly is back together...top nut tightened down all the way), the bottom is aligned but the strut is about an inch too long for the bottom bolt to slide through.

2002 XLT 4x4 strut assembly replacement (reusing springs)

Thanks in advance!

Hammer

Yes, but make SURE you disconnect the sway bar, if you don't your just going to push and push and push and never get anywhere, just use a pry bar and push it down until you slip it in.

Now, if it was my truck this is what i would do.
(IF YOUR BOTTOM IS ALREADY IN THE HOLE ON THE CONTROL ARM IGNORE THIS NEXT PARAGRAPH)
Remove the nuts at the top, take the assembly back out and put the bottom in first (no bolt) now while the bottom is in, put the top bolts back in and tighten them down. THEN pry it until you can align the bottom bolt in and slide it though. When i did it i just had a buddy pry it while i slide the bolt though and on the other side i was so frustrated i just slammed it down using my weight on the rotor and slid it through.

P.S. Make sure your using new nuts for the top of those assembly's (the three at the top) the old ones have rubber fittings that are ruined when you remove them, and use Blue lock tight.

I hope my guidance is saving you a big headache! Good luck,

Blake F

Thanks a ton!!!!! Finished all four this afternoon. Not a bad process after getting some great advice! The X rides a lot better...totally smooth! Quick question, the front end now shakes when making a tight turn at slow speeds...assume that means I need the wheels aligned???

Thanks again!!!!!

Nope, I'm sure you turned the wheels a bunch while doing this while the wheels were lifted off the ground, which forces air into the power steering lines and gives you that shake, just drive the car around the block making lots of turns and itll smooth itself out,

Glad I could help!

-Blake

Back