Help! 01 Ranger won't start, Theft flashing | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help! 01 Ranger won't start, Theft flashing

I've always had batts last for at least 3 yrs. They have a good warranty though, hope I don't need it.

Here's the only pic I have of my Ranger online. Every thread should have at least one pic :D

005.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

..."Cowboy's ride with pride" and your in Texas..:wtf:..I bet you get a lot of flack...:D

...Pm this guy...He probably knows more about electrical than anyone I know...Send him a link to this thread and he may be able to help you out..;)
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/member.php?u=42203

They think I'm a Texas fan when they see my orange shirt, til they realize it's Okla State orange and not Texas orange. The ranger has Okla plates cause I keep it in my dad's name so they just think I'm passing through. When I quit using it as a commuter I took it to him so he could use it and he tagged it up there, so I just left it alone. He mails me the sticker when it expires. He didn't use it so I hauled it back down here a while back.

Thanks for the help

Hauled the ranger to the Ford dealer yesterday. They called this morning and said the receiver portion of the system is toast. Imagine that. I knew it wasn't the key, so that's what I figured was next.

They told me it will be somewhere around $400 and the part is in Okla City. They may have it done tomorrow.

So, $400 to repair a system that I don't even want. Nice.
Thanks Ford

...Are you going to get the second key also???

I took them 3 keys. They better program them all for that much $$

The truck was just paid off this month, so at least that is a plus.

It's a good little truck. I need to order a battery tender for it since it's not driven much. She could prob use a oil change too when I get it back.

Just wish Ford would have saved the security key stuff for the more expensive vehicles. I would have never missed having it, and it's a pricey thing to fix when it acts up.

So, I'm out $40 for the Locksmith (could have been worse) and will know the rest tomorrow I think (quoted just shy of $400)

Got the Ranger back today. It was $388.06

Replaced the receiver for the PATS and a part I didn't understand about

They said they found something cracked and it had fallen down the column. Not sure that the service guy that makes the phone calls knows what he was talking about, let alone explain it to me so I could understand what he meant. He said it was a $30ish part and they would cover the shipping. They did a good job of waking me up every day with an update and they got things done quick.

I really don't like letting anyone work on my stuff. I noticed my stereo is about to fall out of the dash. They seem to have left a couple of screws out of the adapter that holds my Kenwood in. The shifter knob was installed upside down. They seem to have tried to slap 2nd gear and pulled the knob off and then just shoved it back on. I had the old battery in the bed and found it up against the tailgate in a different location. Have a cover on the bed and a rubber mat inside. The battery wouldn't have moved without some serious driving. Seems they like to test drive the customers stuff a little too much. It's a 4cyl Ranger, why do they feel the need to hot rod it? I don't trust anyone with my stuff. Never will

I now have 3 keys that are supposed to work. Need to test them out.

The freon was dead last week and now its up and running, so they charged that for me and didn't mention it. Don't think they charged for it, so that's a plus for them.

I think the batt was unplugged for a bit and the engine needs to learn the sensors again. It was idling a little low and ran funny. I think that goes away after driving for a little while.

I noticed the truck acts really strange when turning on the way home and around town. Thought I had a wheel coming off. I checked the power steering fluid, still serviced good. Maybe a symptom of low idle at times when the clutch is in and the steering loads the motor a second??? Feels really odd. Talking about a shaking and the steering wheel wobbles.

...Thanks for the update and I'm glad to hear it's fixed...:biggthump

...The steering problem you describe kind of sounds like they turned the steering wheel with the motor off...:dunno:

...I just hope their repairs were better than the problem items you described...

Ok, now ya got me curious. The steering was turned while the truck would not run. I had to push it around by hand to load it on my trailer and the dealer had to push it around to get it in the shop from where I dropped it off.

Did we get air in the system or something???
Do I need to bleed it?

...That's a big :nono:

...Do a search with the words "steering" and user "Izwack"...;)

I'm not having any luck with the search. I can't find anything that talks about the steering without engine running. Any other key words that I can use?

Think I found the info

Did some lock to lock turns, will do more later today and maybe this weekend also to see if I can get it worked out.

...I was just briefly looking for a post of his that totally describes this problem...I didn't find it...:(

...Going from lock to lock while the engine is running is a test and a fix that should remedy this...Lock to lock is just to the point of lock, and not any further, then back to the other lock...Some people try to force it hard lock and thats not good either..

...I like to do this in a big parking lot and while i'm driving the vehicle instead of sitting in a driveway leaving tire marks...:D

Back