Help! 01 Ranger won't start, Theft flashing | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help! 01 Ranger won't start, Theft flashing

learfxr

Reaction score
City, State
Weatherford, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 Ranger
I've been doing my research and tried several things so far and not learned anything yet.

It rarely gets driven. Just installed a new battery a couple weeks ago. Still has a good charge.

Drove it this morning for maybe a mile and parked at my house. When I went to take off again it won't start.

The Theft light flashes when ign is turned on. After waiting for the flashing code it seems to only flash a 1-1 code. Didn't find any info for that sequence.

Ford dealer says to tow my truck to their shop and they might get to it next week.

Called locksmith about a key reprogramming and she told me if I drove it today it's not a key issue and to check my battery and mechanical items.

Plugged in and getting no engine codes. Batt voltage checked with a multimeter and it's good.

I'm a professional business jet mechanic, but cars are not my thing. So I have the ability to work on my own stuff if I can find the info to read

Any tips?

This is my backup vehicle and my Silverado is in my shop undergoing some surgery. I chopped smashed sections out of my rear fenders and am in the process of installing patch panels.

I'd really like to get this thing running in case I get called out for work

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Forgot some info that might be needed.

It's a 4cyl 5spd

I have 1 good key only.

Any ideas?

tbars4, what's goin' on? :) Did you hear that someone rolled off Ortega Hwy?

Well, about the flashing light, my son's Theft light flashes constantly... but there's never been a problem and both keys work (01 Sport). Yours not starting is interesting because you have the original key, right? I'd do what tbars said, best advice ;)

Batt is new and working fine. Checked it with a meter.

I don't need a CCA test for my batt. I know it's good. It's about 2 weeks old and holds voltage great. I just drove the truck a little while before this happened. There is no battery draw when trying to start the truck. The truck ignition system does nothing. No clicking, no battery draw. The dash lights up and when you go to the run position or attempt to start the Theft light flashes rapidly. I did lots of reading about it earlier. But have not found a way to rule out the PATS key as the problem.

Trying to determine if it is truly the PATS system or something else. The Stealership wants me to haul the truck there and they May get to it next week. That's not good enough. Called a Locksmith about having the key relearned and the women said since I drove the truck today it won't be the key. I don't trust what she says.

I'm perfectly capable of troubleshooting this issue, but I need info on what to look for and how the system works. What I've read so far points to the PATS key being jacked up, but people tell me that is wrong. I troubleshoot Jets for a living, but I have all the info I need on my laptop for those. I have nothing for the Ranger.

I wish they would have left this junk off the vehicles.

Guess I'll call locksmiths tomorrow until I get one that will come try to relearn the key. I'd rather pay them than the dealer. I don't like the Ford dealer here

Are you using the original key?

I have no idea about the key. Got the truck used a few years ago from a Saturn dealer. Only got one key for it.

It's been a good truck when I needed it. I used to commute 70 miles one way every day so that's why I got it. My Silverado was drinking fuel. It has over 140k miles. Changed out the clutch a few months back. Other than that it's been pretty good. It got parked for a while since I drive my Chevy more now and the battery was dead. So that got replaced and I try to drive it around town more often. It will get a batt tender pretty soon too.

You know, my 03 Ex did exactly what yours is doing, except it wouldn't start. I bought a big @ss battery charger on wheels from (an auto parts store) and even though the battery tested good before the charge, once I hooked up the the charger, the truck lit up like a Christmas tree and started up with no problems. But through the whole thing, the battery kept showing fully charged...

I'll go check the battery again. I'll swap the one from my Jeep YJ in there and see if that does anything.

I REALLY don't think it's the battery. If it is, I'm gonna be REALLY upset. :censored:

If the battery has a bad cell I should have seen evidence of it earlier.

Not a battery. Used the one in the Jeep and then also tried jumping it with the Jeep. No change.

I think the Theft light flashing at me is telling me the key is jacked. I'll try to get someone to get me a key tomorrow. I know the Ford Stealer can't fix me up, so maybe a locksmith. The idiot I called today had an ad stating that they can program the keys, but they would rather tell me I have a problem with my truck battery or starter. Would think they would like to make money driving to my house and giving it a try

If you get keys made, the dealer is the only recommended place. Yes, others can make them, but, although excessive, the cost of dealer made keys and programming is worth it.

Sounds like a security system issue. An iginition kill switch could have been activated that is internal to either the PCM, car's management computer (lights, battery, ignition, etc) or it has its own security unit. See if disconnecting the battery for 2-5 minutes an re-setting the system will help. If you do find a killswitch box, I'd say pull it unless you have the keys that plug into it. Just my 02 cents; have had a similar experience that wasn't fun.

I have seen problems with the key it's self had top have one re-sodered have not had a problem since

Well, still not getting the Ranger running.

Had a locksmith come out and spend hours working on it. I only had 1 key that was programmed and that quit working. I had 2 spares that my dad had made a while back but never programmed them. The locksmith plugged into the truck and tried to relearn my old key. That failed. He then tried to learn a spare I had. That failed. He then erased all keys and tried again. Failed again. He cut a new key that they brought with them and tried to learn that one. Yep, failed again. We had to wait 10 min every time something was tried due to the system's timer. It took forever and we got nowhere. The guys were cool and only charged me a $40 call out and didn't charge me for the key they cut. They also did some file work on my keys cause they didn't work too well on my door lock since it's showing some age.

Talked to a car alarm place this afternoon and they said the stuff they could sell me wouldn't work either since my system is so jacked up. I would need a functioning system before using what they sell. One of the guys there used to work at Ford for 4 yrs and he said monday he may be able to call and get some tips from the guys he knows. Not sure that will pan out if this system is so complex like it seems.

I have been really busy with body work on my Silverado and not spending a ton of time on the Ranger. The Chevy comes first since I use it for work and it will prob need to tow the Ranger to Ford next week.

I've always liked Rangers, this is my 2nd 4cyl/5spd Ranger. But I'm not pleased with this PATS system junk that was not needed. I don't need a complex system that keeps me from driving my truck. If I was worried about theft I'd install an alarm.

I don't get on here much at all, but I'll try to report back what is found so maybe it will help someone else.

...Thanks for the updates and I hope it works out for you...I see this frequently with the X's although they don't seem to be as bad as yours..:(...Luckily my vehicles don't have this...

...You don't have an aftermarket system also like a remote start or anything, do you???

Just to give more background on the truck

It's really very stock. No alarms or starter systems installed. I got it used a few years ago and drove it 140 miles a day for commuting. It has been mostly parked for a year now cause I drive my Silverado now.

It has a little over 140k miles. Haven't had any real issues with it. Installed a clutch kit a little while back, no big deal. Did a tune up with new plugs. Found some genius had put the plug wires on completely backwards counting from back to front. Good thing it was a 4cyl, it still ran pretty well for a long time that way. It is done properly now.

Battery was replaced when I bought it. Don't know what I was thinking, got one from Auto Zone. That took a dump a couple weeks ago, so it has a new one now. I get mine from WalMart now. I've had very good luck with their batteries, I know some people don't want to use them. I've used them in all my vehicles and boats and they have been great.

...Thanks for the updates and I hope it works out for you...I see this frequently with the X's although they don't seem to be as bad as yours..:(...Luckily my vehicles don't have this...

...You don't have an aftermarket system also like a remote start or anything, do you???

I knew the alarm question would come up. You asked while I was typing. :thumbsup:

I miss my 95 Ranger. It was a blue/silver ext cab. That was a good little truck. My 01 is a reg cab and just doesn't have the style that I liked about my 95.

If I wasn't building a V8 already for my Jeep, I'd talk my wife into dropping one in the Ranger since it's jacked up. :D
She would kill me if I mention it right now.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...Walmart batteries were a topic this last summer...I had them mainly for the fact of, wherever I go, there is a Walmart..

....I had replaced one last year and another one this year, both lasted about 10 mo's...I talked to several Parts houses this summer out here and they all said the same thing...They were being flooded with Walmart batteries that were about 6 mo's old and people were bent at Walmart...:dunno:...I hope yours last but I'm done using them...

...I hope someone else would chime in here with a quick fix for your PATS though...

Back