Should I get bigger tires? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Should I get bigger tires?

I have a Ford explorer 2007 Eddie bauer 4x4

Tire info according to the paper written on the driver's door:
Size: P235/70R16
Cold tire pressure: 240KPA, 35 PSL
Does that mean I shouldn't use bigger tires for my car?

The tires I have match the above information, but they seem small to the size of the car and I'm thinking of getting bigger ones with new wheels, is that possible?

Please see this photo of my car.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Really sorry for the other posts, mod please keep this post only. This happened because of my bad internet conenction.

You can go as big as can fit in the wheel wells as long as the tires don't rub on your fenders or inside the wheel wells.

With a third Gen, you can look at RoadBully, he as a set of spring spacers, for relatively cheep that will give you 2-3 inches of lift and allow you to fit up to 33s if you so desire. And like stated you can put whatever will fit on your truck.

good luck
Justin

I'm not thinking of lifting the car. After reading and seeing many pics I decided to get new tires with the same width (so it will not go out of car body from front and back view), more height (I guess mine is 16 inches), and height of wheel should be big. What is the biggest size I can go for without having any problems?

basically to look like this:
Explorer%20xwang.jpg

If you are wanting to change tires only, you could get some 255-70-16's to fill out the wheel wells a little more. I know you have a 4th gen, but if you search a little bit about tires sizes on third gens, this discussion has come up several times. I think the biggest I have heard is someone putting 265-70-16's on without any real problems.

Thanks for the help everyone, I think I will go for 265/45/20 as I like the look of a big wheel. I'll look for that and if it's done I'll get some before and after pics.

Just keep in mind, with a bigger rim and smaller tire you will feel a whole lot more of the road. In my own experience the rubber wears out a whole lot faster as well. If I remember right it also effects your load rating a ton.

Back