SOA without the lift?

2TimingTom

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Littleton, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
One of the benefits of doing a SOA is to clear up the underside of the axle- only the diff hangs down, no more spring perches/shock mounts getting banged off of rocks.

This interests me.

But I can't afford anymore lift. I want to keep my truck able to park in my garage. I haven't measured, but the factory roof cross bars are pretty close.

I have a 2" body lift that I could remove to help me with my problem BUT I have sliders and a front bumper custom built to the body with that lift. So I'm sorta screwed there.

I do have the Warrior shackles that I could ditch- although I'd need custom shackles fabbed since the factory shackles didn't survive that removal.

What would it take to do a SOA without getting any lift from it?

The lift gained from the warrior shackles is 1.5-2.0"- how much lift does a SOA net? It's the diameter of the axle tube, right?

So if I did a SOA and a custom length shackle (an inch shorter than factory?) I should be good- right?

.................Or just look into making some spring perch/shock mount skid plates similar to what Brian1 has.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you can maybe purchase lowering shackles. thats the only thing i can think of that will work.

It's pretty much 5.5" lift with factory springs and shackles. I don't know if you can go much shorter with the shackles before preventing spring travel during normal operation. You can search sloped body lift but that's still ~5.5" of overall lift.

it wouldnt be hard and can be done..
a soa nets you almost 5" of lift because you have the axle tube height, plus the spring perch height, and the spring pack height all added to create the lift.
in order to keep the truck level you will probably have to remove the Warriors.. -2"
use a 1" shorter than factory shackle.. -1"
then get a set of 2" lowering leaf springs.. -2"
that would make up the 5" of gained height from the soa..

I believe you would loose droop if you go with a shorter shackle. And I believe that a soa will net 4-5 inches depending on how worn out the leafsprings are.

You could do a reverse shackle flip and turn them upside down like a f-150 with the shackle above the perch instead of below. You could even get a longer shackle in that set up to really lower it back down.

You could do a reverse shackle flip and turn them upside down like a f-150 with the shackle above the perch instead of below. You could even get a longer shackle in that set up to really lower it back down.

Now that's not too bad of an idea, as long as there is sufficient room between the body

This would require moving the springs outboard. Currently they're in line with the frame. You'd have to craft a front mount for them spring as well and ensure that doesn't interfere with the brakes on the axle.

But but, nevermind, I'll let it play. Go ahead.

You could do the outboard (or inboard) springs, use ranger shackle mounts for the back, and make an offset mount for the front.
Better yet; use sport leafs, or take a leaf (or 2) from your leaf pack. Go with stock shackles, I wouldn't put shorter ones on there. Might have some lift left from that, but it won't be much. If you can't lift it at all, make really short perches, and go with shorter than stock shackles.

Well, I'm glad I sparked some good discussion, but I think I'll just keep the status quo and look more into the skid plate things that Brian1 has.

And coilovers aren't off my radar- they'd just be for the front only.

Well, I'm glad I sparked some good discussion, but I think I'll just keep the status quo and look more into the skid plate things that Brian1 has.

Id recommend brian1 for his fab work, he has built me a few things and they are top notch!

Coilovers in the back aren't a bad idea.... keeps the spring rate and valving equal regardless of whether its a straight hit or sideways. Plus everything can be mounted up high.
4 link with coilovers :thumbsup: I might just go draw up mounts, pm if you want the part file. I need to do a personal project anyways. Graphics professor is irritating me :mad: have to do all drawings exactly like he wants... err

I did a SoA conversion and made custom shackles that are shorter than factory. But with stock sport spings that are sagged about 2in I'm still about 2in above factory ride high. So I'd say it's going to be tough to not gain some lift.

Back