Every OHV owner should see this | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Every OHV owner should see this

HahnsB2, the more i am thinking of it, i may have to take back what i did say earlier. i am trying to think on how much my speedo was out in my capri when i changed gears in it (2.73 to 3.55). but to me, it still doesn't look right on the video. that and, if his gauges are all correct, that motor will soon hand grenade. watch the oil presser gauge. when it dives into the red, i myself would shut it down. as i said, that is if his gauges are correct. :scratch:

don't get me wrong how ever, it is a nice truck!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So lets take a look at the shiftpoints as well....

His shifts are about 5500 rpms.... is he somehow bypassing the 4900 rpm fuel cutoff?

vroomzoomboom - I talked to the guy....its a built 4.0....but the oil pressure gauge is still idiot light style...you know those things.

His shifts are about 5500 rpms.... is he somehow bypassing the 4900 rpm fuel cutoff?

Are the rangers (or at least his) built to shut off at 4900 rpms? A few times (maybe 4-5 over 4-5 years) I've had mine shift at 5,500rpms when really dogging it between 2-3 gears I think...

My tach redlines at 5k is that matters...

I didn't think it was that big off a deal...

As we can see here....the tach redlines 100 RPM before 5000...

P1704090000.jpg

The owners manual confirms......

P1704090001.jpg

LOL watch the speedo on the first shift, it appears to drop from 60 all the way down to 40, in one shift, in less than a second, no way that is right, he must have something hooked up the wrong way, or maybe just cuz its an older truck, but somehow I doubt that.:thumbdwn:

If you listen closely you can hear that the tires are spinning. Hence the large drop on the speedo at the 1-2 shift.

As we can see here....the tach redlines 100 RPM before 5000...

P1704090000.jpg

The owners manual confirms......

P1704090001.jpg
I've had mine well over 5K..

I didn't find it so hard to believe... Ive had my Exploder almost down to the OD... It was running a little bad when I was having MAF trouble... I thought maybe she needed the sut blown out....It nothing but stock with 235/15's

Getting the needle down into the OD part is cake...Ive got 3.08's so with OD on its not even breaking a sweat.

Hello. I know old thread, but I was bored and followed a link from Youtube to see where some of my views were coming from, and was somewhat dissapointed on how much doubtin' was going on in this forum. To clear up a few things,
ABS and Brake light are on because dump valve was leaking. It is a 20 year old truck. Parking brake was not on.
Oil Pressure gauge wire was grounding out when the engine was torque'd over, causing it to go in the red. It is a 20 year old vehicle... now fixed, and in fact not hand grenaded, 40,000 miles on engine and counting. 225k on truck.
That video was done with 3.08 open differential, and the tires had very close to the same outside diameter of stock tires. No more speedometer error than a stock truck. GPS top speed when hitting the speed gov is 105.
Tachometer is from a 2.9 ranger which has a 5500 rpm redline, cause it looks cooler.
Tires are in fact spinning from 1-2 shift. Rebuilt transmission has a shift kit that'll make you spill your morning coffee.
The reason it goes past the 4900 RPM point is because at the time I was running a Bama 4 program computer chip which had a higher rev limit (still have it, just horrible mpg's). Now I have a generic hypertech, which lowered RPM limit back down to 4900.
You want to see a fully decked out 4.0 with custom internals? Give me the $20k and I will be happy to build you one. This is what you can build given a modest budget and readily available parts from summit, jegs etc.
Rangers are in fact much lighter than explorers. I will admit to cheating a little bit when making this video. I had taken off the spare tire and the tailgate to make it much easier to burn out, and it was done at night in pretty cool weather.
It's really not even that fast. 0-60 is 7 seconds flat on a good day with traction even with the new 3.73's and a locker.
Live in San Marcos, Tx. PM me if you want to go for a cruise...

Hello. I know old thread, but I was bored and followed a link from Youtube to see where some of my views were coming from, and was somewhat dissapointed on how much doubtin' was going on in this forum. To clear up a few things,
ABS and Brake light are on because dump valve was leaking. It is a 20 year old truck. Parking brake was not on.
Oil Pressure gauge wire was grounding out when the engine was torque'd over, causing it to go in the red. It is a 20 year old vehicle... now fixed, and in fact not hand grenaded, 40,000 miles on engine and counting. 225k on truck.
That video was done with 3.08 open differential, and the tires had very close to the same outside diameter of stock tires. No more speedometer error than a stock truck. GPS top speed when hitting the speed gov is 105.
Tachometer is from a 2.9 ranger which has a 5500 rpm redline, cause it looks cooler.
Tires are in fact spinning from 1-2 shift. Rebuilt transmission has a shift kit that'll make you spill your morning coffee.
The reason it goes past the 4900 RPM point is because at the time I was running a Bama 4 program computer chip which had a higher rev limit (still have it, just horrible mpg's). Now I have a generic hypertech, which lowered RPM limit back down to 4900.
You want to see a fully decked out 4.0 with custom internals? Give me the $20k and I will be happy to build you one. This is what you can build given a modest budget and readily available parts from summit, jegs etc.
Rangers are in fact much lighter than explorers. I will admit to cheating a little bit when making this video. I had taken off the spare tire and the tailgate to make it much easier to burn out, and it was done at night in pretty cool weather.
It's really not even that fast. 0-60 is 7 seconds flat on a good day with traction even with the new 3.73's and a locker.
Live in San Marcos, Tx. PM me if you want to go for a cruise...

Thanks for posting back here, man and clearing that up. It's got nothing to do with you, it's just that we have been spoofed before. :(

Hope you can post up some pics of your ride in the registry. It is a sweet ride! :D:thumbsup:

x2

Ya know I am glad ya posted also and now the tac deal I wondered about is nothing but a got ya joke cause ya got more then me I bet . nice truck by the way and keep at it

Nice sounding truck, sweet engine...too bad it's not in a 'ploder, but then again a low riding ranger is fun too!!!!

I've seen this truck in some you tubes and wondered about the engine...thanks for sharing!

yea that is a bad ass truck!!ive got just about the same engine but not in a light ranger and i have 33x12.50 with 3.73 right now so its still pretty slow.i made a video the other day just for me before i do my gear swap and wasnt going to post it but the exhaust sounds freakn sweet and its a pretty cool vid,so im posting it!!!im not trying to do anything special in it was just trying to get a video of shift points speeds before gears.speedo is right.anyways turn it up and enjoy:D
http://www.youtube.com/user/jdez42

yea that is a bad ass truck!!ive got just about the same engine but not in a light ranger and i have 33x12.50 with 3.73 right now so its still pretty slow.i made a video the other day just for me before i do my gear swap and wasnt going to post it but the exhaust sounds freakn sweet and its a pretty cool vid,so im posting it!!!im not trying to do anything special in it was just trying to get a video of shift points speeds before gears.speedo is right.anyways turn it up and enjoy:D
http://www.youtube.com/user/jdez42

Sounding good
I made a before and after comparison from 3.08's to 3.73's with speedometer correction to accurately show the difference in acceleration.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9AVesv9w_Y

If you listen closely you can hear that the tires are spinning. Hence the large drop on the speedo at the 1-2 shift.

Exactly what's happening. I've do this all the time in the SHO. Tires spinning so the mechanical parts think you're going faster, then 20 mph drop when the tires hook up again.

Pretty slick truck.

Back