• Register Today It's free!

Is it my 4x4 switch??

Alaskanredneck

Reaction score
City, State
Newman Lake, WASHINGTON
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer XLS
Im new so please forgive my ignorence of procedure.
I have a 91 X EB 4x4. here is my problem. It has the push button 4x4. the 4x4 is not working. when i turn on the lights the 4x4 hi and 4x4 low lights up green, but the little orange light does not light up nor does the light on the dash, there is no sound just nothing. i dont have an owners manual so i dont know if im missing a fuse panel or which one it is in there. im lost and i dont know what to do next.
Any help????

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Start here:

To shift from 2WD to 4x4:

To shift into 4x4, push the 4x4 button located on the instrument panel. This shift can be done at a stop or at speeds up to 55 MPH (88 km/h).

To shift from 4x4 to 2WD:

Push the 4x4 button; the 4x4 lamp on the instrument cluster will go out indicating the vehicle is in 2WD. This can be done at any speed. To disengage the automatic locking hubs, operate the vehicle in 2WD in the opposite direction for approx. 10 feet (3 meters) in a straight line.

To shift from 4x4 to 4x4 LOW RANGE:

Stop the vehicle and place the automatic transmission in NEUTRAL or depress the clutch on vehicles with a manual transmission. Push the LOW RANGE button on the instrument panel to shift the transfer case from 4x4 to 4x4 LOW RANGE. Both the 4x4 and LOW RANGE lights are now lit.

NOTE: The vehicle must already be in 4x4 before pushing the Low Range button.

To shift from 4x4 LOW RANGE to 4x4:

Stop the vehicle and place the automatic transmission into NEUTRAL or depress the clutch on vehicles with a manual transmission. Push the LOW RANGE button on the instrument panel to shift the transfer case from 4x4 LOW RANGE to 4x4.

From the 1994 Owner's Manual.

And.....

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97004

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123542&highlight=shift+motor+rebuild

I just made $100 with the help of this thread! Thanks!

My friend bought a 91 or 92 EB X, he picked it up for nearly nothing, one of the 'major' problems it had is the 4x4 hasn't worked in a few years....I told him I just 're-built' my 4x4 shift motor, and I could do the same for him. I removed his shift motor, pulled the red 'keeper' out of the plug using a nail and some needle nose pliers. pulled the brown center wire out, and took the motor to my house for disassembly. Sure enough, the nylon/plastic bushing was in 5 pieces in the housing. I replaced it with a small section (1/4" - 3/8" long) of rubber hose, cleaned up the motor contacts (they were VERY black with carbon deposits), lubed and re-assembled.

I installed the motor and it worked perfectly........

Thanks!

Aloha, Mark

still need help

I know how to put it in 4 wheel drive but when i push the button nothing happons no blinking lights no sound nothing and duh no 4 wheel drive lol

The first quote was for IF you were doing it incorrectly. And, for those that have been wondering.

The second quote w/links was to give you some perspective on what others in similar situations have found helpful and have tried in order to "fix" their problem 4 X 4.

SEARCH......enough said?

The situation you described is "common." Although there is NO GUARANTEE that the links will, "fix your Explorer," it maybe a starting point for you.

Aloha, Mark

PS...........
I've been there and down that road several times.

If you press the 4x4 button and nothing happens then your problem lies in the 4x4 control module, shift motor, or its wiring harness (HUBS only come into play once the "T"-case has sent power their way via the front drive shaft 4x4 light on)

I would guess 99% of the time it is the shift motor. The shift motor is actually 2 parts. The worm driven motor and the geared position sensor. The Position sensor is notorious for getting "lost". This occurs because the plastic stop inside the sensor breaks apart over time and allows the sensor to travel slightly outside it's operating range. If this happens then the the 4x4 computer module next to rear washer fluid reservoir will have no idea what position the T-cases is in and will shut down and do nothing. Other members have found a high amp draw on the motor, which indicates the motor is getting bound.

You should read the info on T-Case Trouble Shooting and then take the wire harness off the shift motor and test for 4H continuity among the various pins.

1) Disconnect the battery,
2) Disconnect the shift Motor wire harness. Note the connector tabs push in to remove)

Sensor position Test.
This test is basically the same thing the 4x4 module in the rear trunk is doing to determine what position the T-Case is in (2H, 4H, 4L).
We are going to Assume the selector shaft is pointing towards 2H.
2) Test the shift motor wire harness for 2H continuity.
3) If you fail to get continuity then the position sensor is your problem. We need to align the Loosen the cover and rotate slightly <1/8" (left or right).
Repeat step 2

Note: You really need to engage 4x4 each month to keep things moving and lubricated. Failure to do so can lead to more problems than a dead shift motor (frozen u-joints etc...)

The above quote was taken from one of the links.........DeRocha had put it up there to help folks w/ 4 x 4 problems..........like I said........NO GUARANTEE but, read (the links)......perhaps it'll help.

INVEST in a manual.

Here is another kernel of wisdom from Az NavajoRob (from a link, noted above):

The good news is that they are real easy to test. With your Ex in 2wd, crawl underneath with a pair of gloves, a long screwdriver, and a flashlight. Turn the front driveshaft and watch the axle shafts coming out of the front differential. You should see the axleshafts turn a liitle bit then feel a "click" as the hub clicks itself locked and then the shat won't turn anymore (unless you've got the tire off the ground in which case the wheel sould turn). If one side clicks and the shaft stops turning but the other side still turns then that's the side with a broken hub. Now jam the screwdriver in the u-joint of the one that is broken and see if the good hub holds so that you cannot turn the driveshaft any more. Of course, if you've put a locker in the front diff then you can't check them this way. If you have a front limited slip then you may be able to get enough muscle on the driveshaft to get the clutches inside the diff to slip, thus acting like an open differential.

Now that you know if your hubs are good, check your t-fer case. While under the vehicle, have someone switch the ignition to the run position (do not start it up). After all the electric noises stop, have them push the 4x4 button while you have your bare hand on the t-fer case shift motor (looks like a power window motor). You should feel it whir and hear it hum as it activates. Now turn the front driveshaft again. If it is in 4x4 then it will only turn a little then stop. If it still turns like before then the case is still in 2wd. Ask your helper if the 4x4 light is on - it shouldn't be if the motor didn't move. Try thumping the motor a couple of time with something while your helper pushes the button and see if anything happens. If you take the motor off, you can get a pair of pliers or vice grips on the shaft coming out of the transfer case and rotate it ccw (I think) to manually put it in 4wd. Also, with the shift motor out you can have your helper push the button again and see if the wheel inside turns. The contacts that lights the dash LED's, and tells the controller what position the wheel is in are located on this wheel and is what most often gets dirty and causes the t-fer case not to be engaged.

Sorry for the long post, hope it helps.

Aloha, Mark

PS........Non-functioning auto hubs are another, "common problem," for the Explorer 4 x 4.

ok so i got under there and the damn moter was not pluged in and the locking tabs were broken off of the stock pigtail so i pluged it back in taped it up and tried it out worked great! drove to my wifes friends house and was so excited to show her said baby watch this click ..... nothing hmm it is a little slugish give it a sec nothing click .........click .........click .......click clickclickclickclickclickclick damnt it worked an hour ago so it gave up the ghost. good thing i didnt take back the moter i bought so i put it in and it worked i didnt show the wife this time im gonna wait a few days but we will see
thanks everyone
Scott

Thanks for the update.

Aloha, Mark

still workin great shift in and out of 4x4 so fast i love it now i just need to change my coil, balljoints, roters, pads, seals, and bearings then get an alingnment and new tires and ill be happy

Altho I realize you fixed your problem, I'm posting this for those who might come across this thread with a similar problem.

Do check the button. I had no flashing lights, nothing. The rear housing of the button was disconnected from the main button body. I just snapped it back together 4x4 worked again! (Well, I still had a bad hub)

Back