• Register Today It's free!

A/C being wierd

usmc7980

Reaction score
City, State
FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
I have a 02 Ex. I have been having this problem since I bought it. The A/C blows with the same force on 2 and 3. Doesn't mater whether I have it on rgular A/C or max A/C. 1 and 4 work fine. It blows fine on 2 and when you step up to 3 it stays the same until you go to 4. Anyody have the same problem?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 02 Ex. I have been having this problem since I bought it. The A/C blows with the same force on 2 and 3. Doesn't mater whether I have it on rgular A/C or max A/C. 1 and 4 work fine. It blows fine on 2 and when you step up to 3 it stays the same until you go to 4. Anyody have the same problem?

my '02 has the auto climate control, so i'm not sure, but it sounds like a blower resistor may be blown?

Also if it helps, I don't have the electronic A/C controls. I have the old fashoned knobs

I just went and puled out the resistor assembly. One of the tabs has rust/is a little rustier than the others. How do I kow if it is bad? I can't seem to find any prices for on online either. Anybody know how much they run?

100_0618.jpg

I've also noticed that when I come to a stop at a light or sit in park the blower doesn't blow as hard but as soon as I pick up the rpm's it picks up

I've also noticed that when I come to a stop at a light or sit in park the blower doesn't blow as hard but as soon as I pick up the rpm's it picks up

That's weird, but here's how to test the resistor:

WindowClipping10.jpg

Your's looks kind of corroded. They are not very expensive. I think about $30 - $35 or so.

That's weird, but here's how to test the resistor:

WindowClipping10.jpg

Your's looks kind of corroded. They are not very expensive. I think about $30 - $35 or so.

the readings on mine are as follows
pin 2 and 1 read .6
pin 2 and 3 read 1.3
pin 2 and 4 read 3.0

They seem to be reading just over the picture you had. Could it still be the resistor assembly or should I start looking elsewhere?

Rockauto.com lists a new resistor for the 2002s for under $20. If it were mine I would get a new one.

I had the same problem. It was the fan switch itself. Mine was actually burned. You could take the control panel out and look for damage to the switch. I bought my Explorer from my brother and while under warranty the switch was replaced fro the same issue. BTW the switch can be purchased separately from Ford without buying the whole A/C panel.

I had the same problem. It was the fan switch itself. Mine was actually burned. You could take the control panel out and look for damage to the switch. I bought my Explorer from my brother and while under warranty the switch was replaced fro the same issue. BTW the switch can be purchased separately from Ford without buying the whole A/C panel.

Thats next, the new resistor went in and it is doing the same thing

I have exact symptoms as yours. Did you changed the blower resistor? Can anyone post a picture on how to open and see this resistor? Please post also the part number of it. Thanks.

I have exact symptoms as yours. Did you changed the blower resistor? Can anyone post a picture on how to open and see this resistor? Please post also the part number of it. Thanks.

Mine as well, 1,2 and 4 all work at different speeds but 3 is the exact fan speed as 2. Just happened over the winter. It's kind of annoying because on a hot day setting on 2 is not quite enough and 4 is loud and too cold.....any fixes?

I just went and puled out the resistor assembly. One of the tabs has rust/is a little rustier than the others. How do I kow if it is bad? I can't seem to find any prices for on online either. Anybody know how much they run?

100_0618.jpg

Where can we find the resistor assembly(blower resistor)?

Where can we find the resistor assembly(blower resistor)?

From my limited research it seems to be on the blower, underneath the glove box. How do you remove and replace? I got 3 out of 4 working and don't want to end up with zero out of 4 working if you know what I mean.

From my limited research it seems to be on the blower, underneath the glove box. How do you remove and replace? I got 3 out of 4 working and don't want to end up with zero out of 4 working if you know what I mean.

I posted a picture of mine a while back. Search for "location blower motor resister" and I bet you find it.

Back