• Register Today It's free!

which one is the throttle cable?

KobeJ05

Reaction score
City, State
Marina, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 explorer 157k miles
i wanna see if i can do the mod feels like my accelerator not working right. i have to punch it for it to work right or press hard feels like theres something behind the accelerator heres pics thanks

008.jpg

009.jpg

EDIT: FIXED by Maniak

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Copy the code from photobucket next time instead of the http code... save us all a step ;) just paste it right in here, the board will handle the rest...

As for which one is the throttle... I'd say the one that it poking way out past the spring. I'd say the blue one is the kickdown. Follow the mod steps and you should be very happy. A number of zip ties clamped down on the cable and cut off also works well from what I've heard.

The one sticking out is the kickdown. The blue one is your throttle. So from what you are saying the accelerator is binding/sticking? In that case either the cable is corroding or the butterfly in the throttle body is binding for some reason.

I thought the kick down had a self adjuster and wouldn't leave slack in the cable like that??? I have a manual and my throttle spring doens't look like the blue one but the "loose" one in the pic..... wonder why manuals trannies would be different?

Quick side-question. Can you put a bumper under that spring for a quicker kickdown?
The tranny is a bit behind on pickup.

Quick side-question. Can you put a bumper under that spring for a quicker kickdown?
The tranny is a bit behind on pickup.

i thought about that

Its the blue one, all you gotta do is turn it on and yank each one to figure it out, I just ziptied the wrong %&^@ cable... Now I gotta redo it

The reason the kickdown has slack like that is because it's not supposed to be pulled unless you are at full throttle. Slack at normal and closed throttle is how it is supposed to be. The kickdown is only for full throttle use, not for normal use.

The kickdown can be adjusted, search in the tranny forum here and there is a guide on how to do it. It's very simple.

I just went out an checked, on my 5 speed (no kickdown cable) the spring on my ONLY cable looks like the kickdown cable in those pics, not like the blue one. Wonder why, are manuals different? Or is it an aftermarked cable? I have 0 play in my cable, I looked to do this mod awhile back but didn't need it bacasue mine was fine. 93 with 165k.....

:dunno:

The one closest to the steering column is the accelerator cable. I did the mod 15 minutes ago. Two baby tie wraps to take up about .25" of cable Brought me to the throttle body butterfly being full open when the Pedal is floored. Big difference now that the butterfly can open up full.

325000 miles and the cable stretch about .25"

I went to do this mod, and didn't need it. 93 w/163k. It's weird, but I'm guess maybe someone replaced mine...Looks more like the kick down then the gas pedal line from those pics. But it's tight as can be, I even checked the butterfly... I put a broom stick in there with the seat "released" in the forward position (one good thing bout having a sport) and it held the peddel to the floor just fine.... Butterfly was perfectly lvl....

Lucky me I guess.

Back