Throttle Cable (s) ?

pugsy

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto, ON
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT 4x4 (4 door)
A4LD Tranny Kickdown Cable

I've done the zip tie throttle cable fix, but when down there, I saw another cable that apears to just be hanging there. Not sure if it's an old throttle cable that has broken and no one removed it or if it's supposed to be attached to the accerator pedal. There's 2 groves in the pedal - one has the throttle cable in it (the one that works), and the other grove is empty. Is there supposed to be anything in there?

Also, I attached a pic of the firewall side from under the hood. The gromet on the right is the hood latch, the middle one is the throttle cable, and the one on the left is a wire that runs to the transmission gear selector. The one of the left, I'm not sure if that's the cable that's just hanging there on the inside of the cab. Is a cable supposed to go from the pedal to the transmisssion?

Thanks for the help. The pics explain it a bit better!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Kickdown cable?

what's a kickdown cable?

There's more then enough slack that if i connect it, it won't be doing anything...that's why I thought it was an old throttle cable. My tranny shifts fine and kicks down a couple gears good when i floor it.

Well its going to kickdown anyway becuase the modulator senses a difference in engine vacuum but with the cable connected it will do it sooner and when its supposed to.

A4LD Tranny Kickdown Cable

I see. Well, it seems to run fine and shift good as is.

Upon further investigation, the housing for the kickdown cable is all rusted out and broken, that's why there's so much slack, as the wire is supposed to pull on the tab on the tranny but with the lack of the hard housing in place, there's just a loose wire.

To the tranny guru's out there....is it necessary to replace the kickdown cable? I've been driving for God knows how long now without it - will it affect/hurt/stress the tranny more with out it? It's obviosly there for a reason?

Where can you get a replacement and how do you go about replacing it?

Thanks guys!

Well, I picked up a kickdown cable that's in perfect shape at the scrap yard for $10. Installtion was very easy and it just snaps in, no tools needed. Adjustment was straight forward with the adjustment button, as long as you have someone to press the pedal when you hold the adj. button in. Once it's set that way, minor tweaks were necessary to make sure I had full travel of the gas pedal and that when the pedal was pressed to the floor, the piece that cable is attached to on the tranny is pulled to it's full fwd. position.

One thing I noticed after connecting it that didn't happen before was that now when I hold the pedal to the floor (when passing for example), the tranny will hold the lower gear longer or until I let off the gas. Where as before when the cable wasn't connected, it would upshift too early, limiting the power when passing.

All in all, I'm glad I reconnected it.

Bingo, well done, that's what it was for.

hey ....i like yall to know after reading the thread here and reading the past threads of zip tieing the throttle cable fix ( read it but never did it till a few days ago ) and boy let me tell you .....it's almost like driveing a new truck
( lol ) .before when i would head out down the road i would give the gas a 1/4 push and the truck responed well but getting up to final drive maybe took 20 seconds but now i have to be carefull because now i can get into final drive in about 10 seconds :D ....no more lagging at red lights or trying pull out quicklly into traffic ! for a quick performance mod to do for the explorer this is a breath of fresh air so to speak .

i'm interrested in seeing what happens when i zip tie the other cable ...maybe the truck will shift quicker (not that the transmission is shifting badlly by any means ((just had it rebuilt)) ...we'll see tho !

Boggs...you shouldn't have to zip tie the kickdown cable, there's supposed to be slack in it at rest.

There's a "self adjuster" under the hood (see my pic above). What I did was hold the adjust button in so the unit will "slide", then have someone stab the gas to the floor. This will adjust it properly. You may need to tweak it a bit to give slightly more pull at full throttle though.

There's supposed to be slack in the kickdown cable - as the tension that pulls on the tranny is only needed at full throttle. If you zip tie the kickdown cable like the trottle cable, you'll find that your gas pedal won't go to the floor anymore.

Let me know if you have any questions on it.

ahh... did not know that ...thanks ,i think for now i'll just leave that alone.the truck shifts good enough with out doing anything more to it after thinking about it .besides i dont want to screw up my warranty on my transmission just incase anything does happen .

I know this is an old thread but where is the picture , I need to do this to my 94 Limited

Thanks
Dwight

Back