• Register Today It's free!

Cooling Questions

Reaction score
City, State
Cleveland, Ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XLT
98 5.0 2wd Eddie B
Got a question guys. I'm fixing to install an electric fan in my 91 and was wondering what is better the stick in raditor temp probes or the thread in temp sender? If I get a thread in which I like the idea of best, what all would I need part wise to make it go smooth. I plan on install a temp quage as well. Could I just tee of the temp sender by the thermostat? I know the kit I'm looking at has a 3/8 mpt. Thanks guys.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's best to take your temperature readings at the engine, as the coolant in the rad is already being cooled, and won't give you an accurate temperature reading. You can easily put a tee in where the original temperature sensor is.

I haven't used one, but it looks like it would be ok. Install it on the upper rad hose as close to the engine as possible, and it should be pretty accurate.

Put it in the heater hose that is between the head and the heater. That one isn't cooled yet and will get water flowing even before the thermostat opens.

Edit: either make your own using galvanized pipe and npt to hose barb or buy something like this. http://egauges.com/vdo_indA.asp?PN=ATM-2280

~Mark

Here is a pic of the adapter we made.. its a piece of galvanized pipe which is threaded on both ends. I then got copper/brass fittings with a hose connection on side and threaded on the other. We then drilled/tapped the piece of galvanized pipe to 1/4 npt (what the sending unit has).

2629311729_eef9b51405_b.jpg

~Mark

Thanks for all the great ideas guys. I like the idea of the heater hose and it wouldn't be hard to make. I did some thinking which is bad in its own right anywhoo. I have to have two provisions one for the fan and one for the new aftermarket guage I will be installing. So I can keep the factory gauge working. I see you have a ground wire ran to the fitting.

Back