Which One Is The Best? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Which One Is The Best?

16EBBOY

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Eddie Bauer V6
Well I'm getting my first car in a few weeks, finally. I've always wanted a Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer, and now I've found one, its a 2005 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer V8 4X2 in Red. It has 78,000 miles on it and a pretty decent price. I always really like the Tahoe Z71s so i kinda want it, and since I wont be getting a new car when i go off to college i guess i will get something nice now. I like them both but don't know which one would last longer without much maintence and as of now that seems to be the Tahoe. I'm used to driving big trucks since i learned on my dad's 2500HD diesiel, so size isn't a matter. I'll have a job to pitch in for gas, insurance, and maintance so thats not really a problem. But I really need some person experieces. How good has your Explorer or even Tahoe been to you? HELP!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Having a lot of experience with Tahoe/Suburbans/Chevy and Fords I honestly have to say you are much better off with the Explorer or Ford product.

Ill second that. Have Had Tahoe, K5 Blazer S10 Blazer. Caprice, Celebrity, Trans Am, Olds delta 88 and number of others. Had nothing but headaches with all of them.
Got my first 90 Crown vic with 120k mi and drove it for 2 years with no issues. Then got 2 Cougars, 6 mustangs, and now im on 3rd explorer and couldnt be happier!!!!! My neighbor has Escalade and he cant stop complaining.....................so pick and choose
As LONG AS ITS A FORD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sold my X got a Monty! Out with the OLD in with the NEW!!!
Monty.jpg

IMG_0974.jpg

ex for sure =p

I'm thinking the explorer aswell I really love the looks but i get so hung up on the transmission issues. its already an expensive truck, running for $12,995 and my dads a chevy guy and wouldn't mind paying that price for a tahoe with some more miles. but im pretty sure i want the explorer, and i could ask the dealer to flush the transmission fluid just to be on the safe side. but i think the explorers are pretty great trucks, hope i can get about 200,000+ miles on it. and how about the timing chain issues? are those mostly on the 4.0L V6 or is it on the 4.6L V8 aswell? has anybody every done this themselves?

in my advice buy a 4x4, but deff the explorer

If you get the 4.6L V8, you'll enjoy a great vehicle. Not that they're not both good vehicles, but the V8's have a much better shelf life it seems with respects to the engines and transmissions.

You get much snow out there in SC? Then you will be happier with a 4x4. Both vehicles have their +/- and it will come down to what feels best to you. My ex is nothing but a headach and I wouldn't trade it for anything else!!!(well there is some things I would trade it for:D) My explorer appeals to me because it's a V8, 4x4, seats 7 and has heated leather seats. Moves out good with the minimal mods I have done and I love the way it sounds with the FM 70 on it.

So get what feels best to you and both will have their share of problems, one more than the other but which one? It kind of comes down to who had it first and how well it was maintained.

Back