back up lighting mount locations?

Essex4x4

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Johnston Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Dodge Grand Caravan
I am looking for good ideas for backup light mounting locations. On earlier generations the steel bumper made a good mount point, but on the fourth generations the rear bumper seems a bit to flimsy for me. I am planning on just using 55w fogs because of the light pattern. Why might you ask do i need more lighting? its because when hooking up a trailer at night i can't see, or when backing in a pitch black unlit parking its hard to see. I also would like to tint the windows which will make backing up harder with out aux lighting.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a basket roof rack on mine. I just mounted mine on there. Works well.

Do you have the roof mounted luggage racks? You could place the lights on the rear cross bar on the extreme outside edges of it if you do. If no cross bars, attach to the sides of the long front to back bars. Run a hot wire to your reverse light power wire with a relay.

In terms of roof racks no i don't have one all i have are the factory side rails, i don't have the cross bars installed. I really want something easy, not complicated such as running wires to my roof. I am looking for ideas on to how to attach to the lower rear of the bumper, factory hitch, or somehow adding an additional bulb into the factory back ups so i can increase the rear light power.

What I did was drill into the trailer hitch and tap 1/4''x20 threads. That way the lights are under the vehicle. It only took about 20 minutes to drill and tap the threads and wire the lights plus you don't have wires hanging out or a hole in the roof.

IMG_4871.jpg

Here is my 55w Halogen fog lights/back-up lights mounted between the tube bumpers. Works well...but if you really want some good lighting, not only for hooking up trailer, but just to be able to see everything around you in the rear when loading or unloading whatever your towing, or just need some light.
Then I to vote on a rear high mounted light like the other guys mentioned, well worth the time.

IMG_5631.jpg

I can use these Halogen work lights in conjunction or by themselves with a flip of a switch. With out a doubt, one of the most useful mods on the entire truck. Being an avid hunter/fisher type dude, I don't need to explain.

here's how mine is set up. 2-55w lights
P1010694.jpg

P1010726.jpg

Very nice indeed. Are they wired so you can turn on anytime?

right now all the lights on my rack are disconnected. but yes it can be wired up so that they can come on anytime that i want. so tail gaters beware.:D

What I did was drill into the trailer hitch and tap 1/4''x20 threads. That way the lights are under the vehicle. It only took about 20 minutes to drill and tap the threads and wire the lights plus you don't have wires hanging out or a hole in the roof.

pictures???

i took pictures but don't know how to paste them. i will try to get them on by tomorrow

Those WhiteKnights are gabarge. The harness and bulbs are not sealed in the housing. It basically a snapon cover in the rear. Mine lasted about a year before winter corrosion got to it.
Did you replace it with anything?

I had these on my F250 and replced them with some Piaa 1500's.

Man wish it was that easy. Having a very flimsy plastic rear bumper means i cannot attach lights to it, i thought of this and i just don't feel like the rear bumper cover is strong enough to hold two small lights. i might just go for it and see what happens though.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For those of us with a rubber bumper, what do you all think about drilling and tapping a couple holes in the class III hitch frame members that go across to mount some fogs to. Would it decrease the structural integrity of the hitch?

Back