Mounting auxiliary lights | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mounting auxiliary lights

ncyrider

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport Trac 4WD
Currently have a Westin standard bull bar on my '01 Sport Trac that I use for mounting 7" LED aux. lights, but after bending the bar out of shape a couple times while off-roading, I think I want to try a different setup/way to mount aux. lights. I think I saw someone on here a while ago that had a low-profile straight bar to mount lights on that attached somewhere in the front bumper, and not under it. That would be perfect for my truck if I can find where to get one or how to make one, and if I get rid of the bull bar, there will be more clearance for off-roading.
If I cant find or make a light-mounting bar that attaches somewhere in the front, I have a pair of "Rigid-style" 3" square LED pod lights (with brackets) I can mount somewhere in the front bumper. Wondering where a good place would be to bolt them to, because the bumper is plastic so I'm not sure if they will be solid or not. Is there a way to mount them to the front tow hooks? I'm trying to see what all the possibilities are for mounting any aux. lights and/or light bar, hopefully without needing to use a bull bar this time. I would rather spend money on more LED lights that might fit in/on the bumper, than a new bull bar.

Why don't you place a led light bar on top over the windshield.

I would prefer to have my lights on the front of this truck, and I already have the wires run down inside the front bumper. I wouldnt be able to use a high-mounted light bar on the roads at all. I might mount the 3" pod LED's in the fog light holes, or try to find a metal bracket to help with mounting them and/or a small light bar somewhere else on the bumper. If anyone has mounted any lights on the front of a sport trac, let me know what you've done so I can get some more ideas...

Back