• Register Today It's free!

Add navigation???? 08 Explorer

Full Force

Reaction score
City, State
Cleveland, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 Mountaineer Premier
Looking at this 08 to maybe replace my 03 eddie Bauer that was car-jacked...

Has EVERYTHING I want besides navigation, can that be added with factory parts? cost? I like the idea of factory navigation, but this Limited is sweet!!!

IMG00162-20100118-1328.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I got the ford nav. off Ebay for $650 and the antenna was another $15. You also need the nav. DVD as well and runs $50-$100. You may have to reprogram it based on your setup which runs another $100. And that's not counting if you want Sirrus.

Was it worth it over using a Window mounted garmin??

Is it traceable if someone steals truck? that is my main concern since the reason i am looking at new trucks is due to the theft of my 03....

It's not traceable. If I did it again, I'd look into an aftermarket double din nav. unit like Pioneer or Alpine for around the same price. Of course, a window mount gps is alot cheaper.

Cool, thanks, I will see what happens, one truck does not have it factory, others do...

08 has factory

Recently purchased the Garmin 1390t and it is superior to my factory install. I am using it in another car. It has bluetooth which is a little funkie but works.

I like the indash setup better. Perhaps one of the other brands has an indash setup you will like. Check out the displays and graphics befor you buy.

I would also look into an aftermarket. I recommend the pioneer. most of theirs also come with bluetooth (something the factory doesnt, its too costly to add sync) for under the price of the factory stated above.

I would also look into an aftermarket. I recommend the pioneer. most of theirs also come with bluetooth (something the factory doesnt, its too costly to add sync) for under the price of the factory stated above.

Agree 100% ! I actually just replaced my factory nav in my '06 with a Pioneer AVIC Z110BT and it's really night and day ! Bluetooth voice control, audio and hands free calling built in, very good ipod integration built in, and very superior sound quality when compared to the stock system. It's kind of funny too because the stock system is made by Pioneer but you would never know it.

Hey Steve,

Can you post a pic. I want to know how it looks in the dash. Is it flush or sticks out alittle.

Agree 100% ! I actually just replaced my factory nav in my '06 with a Pioneer AVIC Z110BT and it's really night and day ! Bluetooth voice control, audio and hands free calling built in, very good ipod integration built in, and very superior sound quality when compared to the stock system. It's kind of funny too because the stock system is made by Pioneer but you would never know it.[/QUOT

Can you post details about the connections necessary to convert to the new unit? And yes some pictures please. Thanks.....

Can you post details about the connections necessary to convert to the new unit? And yes some pictures please. Thanks.....

I was finally able to take some pictures tonight that show the mounting. I used the following adapters to connect everything up -

PAC C2R-FRD1 - Wiring harness that provides speed pulse, reverse sense, parking brake, rear entertainment preservation, illumination, etc

PAC SWI-PS - For retaining steering wheel controls. I programmed the media button to be used as the voice activation control

Metra 95-5812 - Trim ring / mounting kit

I'll try to get some better pictures someday in the daylight that won't have the flash glare on the screen.

Attachments

• IMG00003-20100125-1843-800.jpg
    IMG00003-20100125-1843-800.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 1,451
  • IMG00004-20100125-1844-800.jpg
    IMG00004-20100125-1844-800.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 1,463

That looks like a nice HU...im looking into Pioneer for a double din under 400$ LOL

Hey Steve: I have a '07 Exp. with factory Nav./Sirius that is giving me problems :( Would the unit you bought just drop right in my dash w/o the mods -- or would I need the different wiring harness, also? Another ? --- Anybody have or put one of these in? http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-AVIC-...6?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1264521070&sr=8-6 IF I'm going to have to spend at least $150 to FIX my current unit - maybe I should spend the extra $$'s and get the BT and voice activated stuff as I hope to keep this thing for at least a few years? TIA

Hey TV what probs are you having with your factory nav? I'm looking to put one in when I find one.

Hi Bill: See the thread "Navigation system problems" (right now - it's 2 threads below this one) :)

hehe, I commented on that thread to. :) thx

Hey Steve: I have a '07 Exp. with factory Nav./Sirius that is giving me problems :( Would the unit you bought just drop right in my dash w/o the mods -- or would I need the different wiring harness, also? Another ? --- Anybody have or put one of these in? http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-AVIC-...6?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1264521070&sr=8-6 IF I'm going to have to spend at least $150 to FIX my current unit - maybe I should spend the extra $$'s and get the BT and voice activated stuff as I hope to keep this thing for at least a few years? TIA

You really need the harness to get it connected correctly. The X series is similar with a smaller screen. I ended up getting the flagship z for about $700 after rebate from an authorized dealer. This was a short deal and easily justified the upgrade after I priced ipod support and bluetooth integration into the factory unit.

Stay with the factory

I have not been able to satifactorily use the voice commands in my '08! In all other ways it works great other than the fact you have to buy the upgrade (they are expensive) CD to have the latest. I have used my Nav extensively in traveling and it works great. The only exception is when the locals change street names and you do not have the latest update. There is a difference between a Lojack and a Nav!!

The unit you are lookng at may be better with voice commands. My other non factory Nav likes my voice commands - go figure

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Was it worth it over using a Window mounted garmin??

Is it traceable if someone steals truck? that is my main concern since the reason i am looking at new trucks is due to the theft of my 03....
The above makes me think that built in Nav is a secondary to the actual vehicle recovery if stolen. Which led me to this...
Do you really even want navigation part? Sounds to me like you can Lojack it and forget it.
So I'm guessing you were talking to someone else even though I was the only one to mention Lojack or making a general FYI.
There is a difference between a Lojack and a Nav!!

Back