Rebuilt 5r55e, now have weird shifting and no movement in drive. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rebuilt 5r55e, now have weird shifting and no movement in drive.

AirBeast

Reaction score
City, State
Johnson City, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT
Hi,

I have a 98 SOHC with 236,000 miles which spent a lot of time towing my 7000lb boat. The torque converter came apart, sending metal everywhere. I took it all completely apart, including the valve body shuttle valves (except for the tcc valve). Besides for metal pieces everywhere, everything looked great. The clutches and bands still had the printed part numbers visible on the friction surfaces.

Anyway, I installed new clutches, front band, o rings and seals. Got it back together and there is no movement if you have it in drive. If you put it into 2nd or 1st, it engages. Also, you can then put it into drive, and it stays engaged. Reverse works well too. However, it will not shift out of 1st until you completely let off the throttle for about 3 seconds. Then it seems to skip 2nd and goes to 3rd. 4th works but there is no 5th. It seems that the overdrive is not engaging and that's why 2nd and 5th are missing. I did adjust the bands according to specs. I guess when I get back home, I'll check the front band and EPC pressure.

But what I don't understand is why at first nothing happens when in D until you go to 2/1 and then back to D? Oh and if I get 2nd selected, it still is getting going in 1st. My understanding is that when you select 2nd, you're actually will be in 3rd?

solenoids.jpg

Any suggestions on where I should look?

Thanks,

Max

Fixed it. Took the valve body back apart. Looked like I didn't have the L pin holding the right part of the forward modulator valve. Also reset the l pin for the inner limit valve. Runs well now! I am not a fan of automatics!

Spoke too soon the last time. Took it on the interstate and noticed there was no 5th gear. Also noticed it was shifting late into 2nd. Tired of messing with it, I was able to get a brand new valve body for cheap. Then when I took the separator plates off, I noticed I had one of the checkballs in the wrong spot.

Now it shift perfectly. And I have a valve body with a new EPC, SSC solenoid, revised bonded ford plate and blow off valve. If anyone wants it.

Back